PDA

View Full Version : question on finding pitchers

tgust5
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM
im thinking about maxing my players out in throw and run before even finding my pitchers, good idea?

philgil
06-26-2007, 12:25 PM
ya that good but remember your found pitcher only uses a little tp to train i think you should find him before you max him out in anything else but throwing and running helps to

footballfreakyfan
06-26-2007, 02:00 PM
i have another question about finding your pitchers.. will i know right away that a guy that i am training is one of my pitchers? will he pitch faster then the rest? cuz i am having a big problom with my pitchers now, they are walking the bases loaded almost every game and its driving me crazy!!

tgust5
06-26-2007, 02:41 PM
http://www.smallball.org/index.php?topic=100.0
have u read this?

The Troubadour
06-26-2007, 06:58 PM
I'll let you in on a secret I've learned that isn't a secret at all (thanks to Gooser and others):

Your "true" pitcher will not always be the one who keeps his skill the longest or uses the least tp to max out. What matters is this: how do they perform in games?

I maxed out all my players in run, pass and then pitch. I then went through a process of pitching the top 7 against identical opponents over 48 hour period. The top two in ERA were my guys, and only one of two is what many would consider a "true" pitcher. My other, the best performing pitcher on my squad, barely keeps his skill. But he is by far the best pitcher on my roster.

Thank me for this later.

tthomp
06-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I'll let you in on a secret I've learned that isn't a secret at all (thanks to Gooser and others):

Your "true" pitcher will not always be the one who keeps his skill the longest or uses the least tp to max out. What matters is this: how do they perform in games?

I maxed out all my players in run, pass and then pitch. I then went through a process of pitching the top 7 against identical opponents over 48 hour period. The top two in ERA were my guys, and only one of two is what many would consider a "true" pitcher. My other, the best performing pitcher on my squad, barely keeps his skill. But he is by far the best pitcher on my roster.

Thank me for this later.

For a long time I went along with the idea that the best pitchers were the ones who held the skill longest and needed the least amount of TP to max like you said. A couple of weeks ago I started to have strong doubts about that myself.
While I don't disagree with your method for finding pitchers, I would add that it might be a good idea to play a retired opponent like The Iliad. The lineup won't change as long as they stay retired and just seems to me to be a better guage.

The Troubadour
06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
O.K...I admit to not divulging ALL of my method:

I pitched them all against only retired opponents, namely: The Iliad.

Thanks for reading my mind. Cheers.

Keep in mind, I'm a novice, so really, what do I know?

footballfreakyfan
06-26-2007, 08:19 PM
thanks guys i'll just go with who pitches the best after i max them out.

Devils Disciples
06-28-2007, 11:27 AM

Thank me for this later.
Can you please PM the process you took to find the pitchers?

Railhand
06-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Looks like it is right there for everybody to see, DD ???

tthomp
06-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Just combine a couple of the post together. ;)

Devils Disciples
06-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Looks like it is right there for everybody to see, DD ???
I know, but for some reason I just can't get it, could be because I havn't slept in nearly 2 days :o. So first your maxing in Run & throw, then maxing everyone in pitch, then taking the top 7, pitching a couple games each against The Illiad, the lowest ERA is your best performing. Or am I still reading this wrong ???

tthomp
06-28-2007, 04:55 PM
That sounds about right. If that is what Gooser is doing, it's hard to argue against it. You can get a lot of people to offer different ideas about finding pitcher though. I trying something a little different on one of my teams. After I rebirthed them I trained the entire team in pitching with full TP pies. The two that had the highest gains are being trained as the pitchers on that team. It'll probably take a month or more to learn how it will turn out. I do like the general idea from this thread too. What matters most, pitchers that hold the skill well or pitchers that win? It just seems to be common sense that the pitchers with the lowest ERA against a common opponent will give you the best chance to win. I like the idea of playing the games against a retired team too. The lineup and overall skill doesn't change from game to game.

Devils Disciples
06-28-2007, 05:11 PM
That sounds about right. If that is what Gooser is doing, it's hard to argue against it. You can get a lot of people to offer different ideas about finding pitcher though. I trying something a little different on one of my teams. After I rebirthed them I trained the entire team in pitching with full TP pies. The two that had the highest gains are being trained as the pitchers on that team. It'll probably take a month or more to learn how it will turn out. I do like the general idea from this thread too. What matters most, pitchers that hold the skill well or pitchers that win? It just seems to be common sense that the pitchers with the lowest ERA against a common opponent will give you the best chance to win. I like the idea of playing the games against a retired team too. The lineup and overall skill doesn't change from game to game.
Exactly, and it would help to play 2-3 games against the retired team to make sure...

Bailey
06-28-2007, 08:21 PM
im thinking about maxing my players out in throw and run before even finding my pitchers, good idea?
from the rest of the reading i would say that this is a great idea, be sure to let us know how you did

i just maxed in pitch, took the first 4 that held pitch best etc,
then i maxed them in throw, then pitch again to see where they were at
then i waited and maxed in run whilst waiting a week
then maxed in pitch and throw
then played games, it gets easier at that point to see the best

but make a note, becasue you can go back to one of the others if your team is giving up a lot of runs once in teh pl's, i am doing this with one of my teams at the moment

gl

tthomp
06-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Here's a question for everyone. Using the ideas that were pointed out in this thread about finding true pitchers, how many of you are actually finding two pitchers? Mlthmp mentioned to me once that he can never find two pitchers. On one of my newer teams I have found one clearcut pitcher. After him it becomes less clear who the second pitcher is. None of the other players stand out and they all have similar stats. This makes me wonder if Smallball was programmed with only one pitcher per team.

Bailey
06-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Here's a question for everyone. Using the ideas that were pointed out in this thread about finding true pitchers, how many of you are actually finding two pitchers? Mlthmp mentioned to me once that he can never find two pitchers. On one of my newer teams I have found one clearcut pitcher. After him it becomes less clear who the second pitcher is. None of the other players stand out and they all have similar stats. This makes me wonder if Smallball was programmed with only one pitcher per team.
maybe it was for some teams, i dont seem to have problems in finding a clear cut 2-4 pitchers, some dont hold great skill but by rotating them you can get your number 1 pitcher to keep up with great batting and running etc, otherwise he will most probly languish down the bottom

tthomp
06-30-2007, 02:57 PM
If you have 2-4 clearcut pitchers why is it on team #810 after 41 games only one pitcher has been used? I'm not questioning your judgement, I'm just curious. When it comes to this game I always find I have a lot more questions than answers. lol. Do you trust your second pitcher as much as you do your #1?
I have found 2-4 players that could be used as pitchers on a lot of teams. What I mean though is a second pitcher that will perform as well as the #1 pitcher. On one of my newest teams I took the top four candidates and played 2 games against The Iliad with each of the four. The era's for those four were 4.5, 7, 7.5, and 9.5 against Iliad. The 4.5 era wasn't too bad considering my team is only a 5* team playing a 10*. I feel the best situation is two equally good pitchers that can be swapped to the bench to take advantage of the extra TP without losing any talent on the mound.

Roughnecks
06-30-2007, 04:11 PM

Thank me for this later.
Very good point about "your true pitcher". My team has 2 Pitchers. And the one with a lower ERA. has more losses than higher ERA. So my main pitcher is the one with more wins. I wish there was a stat. for Wins/Losses....

Try playing a team like yours, and if you loss, switch your pitcher and play them again. Compare your results and that might be a good way to find your "best" pitcher.

tthomp
06-30-2007, 04:35 PM
I've noticed a strange thing playing games against the same team. When I put a pitcher into the lineup and play two games. the pitchers gave up less runs in the second game. This happened with 4 different pitchers over the last two days. I played all four pitchers two games in a row each against the same retired team(Iliad). The 1st pitcher lost 9-0 then 6-0, the 2nd lost 8-0 then 6-0, 3rd lost 6-0 then 3-0, the 4th lost 10-0 then 9-0. Might just be a coincidence but it's odd.