PDA

View Full Version : History of smallball

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 10:21 AM
O0 Ok so I have been into smallball for a couple of years, and I have never really know the history of smallball, anybody know any history behind smallball? O0

Issued-Away
06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow. Big question.

Answers here (http://www.archives.sbforums.org/phpBB2/index.php).

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:05 AM
So, why havent they gotten anything new? :)

Devils Disciples
06-20-2007, 11:10 AM
So, why havent they gotten anything new? :)
Because the Commish left us....plain & simple ::)

mlthmp
06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
whatever the reason being behind Commish's departure form the game.. I think it'd be best to not judge him too harshly without first knowing some of what went on behind the scenes.

The history is behind us.. its the future we should try and look forward to.

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:36 AM
So why cant we get a new commish? :police:

Devils Disciples
06-20-2007, 01:22 PM
So why cant we get a new commish? :police:
Because Andnow owns smallball...and I'm pretty sure no1 has the codes to the game...

BP
06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Wow. Big question.

Answers here (http://www.archives.sbforums.org/phpBB2/index.php).

This is very simple, but it answers every question you have to ask. All you have to do is use the search tool at the top of the screen.

mlthmp
06-20-2007, 01:28 PM
This is very simple, but it answers every question you have to ask. All you have to do is use the search tool at the top of the screen.

True.. but only so much information can be found via searching... hard to capture all the first hand experiences and spam you get by reliving olden days all over again ;D

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 01:32 PM
So wht happened to the commish? ???

BP
06-20-2007, 01:34 PM
True.. but only so much information can be found via searching... hard to capture all the first hand experiences and spam you get by reliving olden days all over again ;D

Yes, you will never see some of the oddest, yet hilarious chats we had that would explain how we knew each other more closely. Even Commish would come into the chat and we would talk to him about the game and stuff.

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 01:52 PM
What happened to him?

UNC FAN
06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
What happened to him?
He left. Here is an article from dotinfo (http://smallball.info/):

Written by jon
Ed Annunziata the creator of Ecco the Dolphin, Chakan and SmallBall is missing. All attempts to contact him have failed and his labor of love SmallBall is now dying a slow death.

In 2002 Ed's company AndNow released the game of SmallBall. This game was and is unique in that it is not a game of reaction time, but rather of learning the skills of your players and adjusting your training of the players to become the best. After 4 years of growth, Ed Annunziata has abandoned his the users of this game. Ed's last contact with the people of SmallBall was around April of 2006. Since this time people purchasing add-ons to the game are not getting what they paid for, the support site and forums for the game have closed down and the community at large has taken it upon themselves to keep the community alive. There are several sites that are trying to keep the community alive, but without our Commish there is no light at the end of the tunnel. If you have any information about the where Ed has gone please contact us or let him know we are looking for him.

The SmallBall.info Staff

Bailey
06-20-2007, 07:40 PM
what a great topic,

lets remember that when people create a game tha tdoesnt mean that they wil hang around forever, especially if it is there goal to move forward in a carreer such as game designing etc

oaf
06-20-2007, 09:57 PM
What happened to the Outside Forum from the old forums? I was looking forward to looking through some of those old battles and arguments, but it seems to have disappeared. Any ideas?

BP
06-20-2007, 10:25 PM
FYI, The Commish was actually was a much bigger deal before SmallBall. As to where he is now, nobody really knows. I know there are some irons in the fire, but other than generalizations I have no idea. Whatever it was that took him away from this game it was something very important. This game was not just a paycheck for him, but it was really something he cared about. He designed other games in the past and granted a few handfuls of interviews over time. With SmallBall, he was an active member of the community and checked in nearly everyday. My hope is that it was work projects that has kept him away and not health problems with him or his family.

Jon

I thought someone said he found an oppurtunity working with Nokia. There was even an article about training your players on Nokia phones.

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Did he possibly have anything to do with Sega?

SlipnSliders
06-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Yes, you will never see some of the oddest, yet hilarious chats we had that would explain how we knew each other more closely. Even Commish would come into the chat and we would talk to him about the game and stuff.

Ahhh the chats. Hmmph. Miss those days. :'(

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
So, is there any hope? :'(

Bailey
06-20-2007, 11:18 PM
nope, no hope at all, but for us to keep it rolling by staying active, all the little hiccups keep getting fixed, server issues that is, you can still buy form the mall, so i guess we have a great game here still , no need to run and hide when you are enjoying it

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Do you think he will ever come back?

Bailey
06-20-2007, 11:27 PM
no

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Why not?

Bailey
06-20-2007, 11:30 PM
noone has heard form him in like 18 months, he just vanished, that show "the missing" hasnt found him either

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
So..... no one has any idea what happened to him?

chspogo
06-20-2007, 11:40 PM
What happened to the Outside Forum from the old forums? I was looking forward to looking through some of those old battles and arguments, but it seems to have disappeared. Any ideas?

gotta log in to see that, remember! ;)

So..... no one has any idea what happened to him?

Left without a trace, so don't call CSI! ??? No one at all knows, despite all efforts taken to track him down.

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:43 PM
so no close friends of him play smallball?

chspogo
06-20-2007, 11:46 PM
so no close friends of him play smallball?

Nope, not that anyone knows about. We (people from here) have tried everyone we know that was affiliated with him at ANDNOW, Inc. I even got an e-mail from someone at Nokeia that stated they hadn't known where he went.

All of our resources ran dry searching.

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:48 PM
has anyone done any deep research on him? ???

Bailey
06-20-2007, 11:50 PM
yes but feel free to do some, and be sure to post some links so we can sure that we care, nottt

jk, have a go, it doenst bother me though

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:52 PM
well thanks for awnsering my questions

Kiwi-MAN
06-20-2007, 11:54 PM
can we put out a big search for him?

Bailey
06-21-2007, 12:03 AM
yes but feel free to do some, and be sure to post some links so we can sure that we care, nottt

jk, have a go, it doenst bother me though

can we put out a big search for him?
ditto

Kiwi-MAN
06-21-2007, 12:05 AM
it cant hurt to try

Tmart54
06-21-2007, 12:07 AM
so what put out a amber alert across america sounds good also

if you wanan know some smallball history my team hit the first smallball homerun

Kiwi-MAN
06-21-2007, 12:09 AM
I have no clue honestly on a search, or better yet a type of search

Tmart54
06-21-2007, 12:11 AM
i have always wondered if theres a way to buy this whole smallball thing

Roughnecks
06-21-2007, 06:28 AM
i have always wondered if theres a way to buy this whole smallball thing
Money ain't the problem,getting the codes will be the real asset.

oaf
06-21-2007, 10:08 AM
gotta log in to see that, remember! ;)

Ohhh... I didn't know it was possible to still log in. Thanks cheesy pogo. :angel:

Kiwi-MAN
06-21-2007, 10:16 AM
What about andnow?

Blockster
07-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Nope, not that anyone knows about. We (people from here) have tried everyone we know that was affiliated with him at ANDNOW, Inc. I even got an e-mail from someone at Nokeia that stated they hadn't known where he went.

All of our resources ran dry searching.

I found him on LinkedIn...see below. It could however be a fake profile. Looks like he is CCO at Twofish inc a gaming company if it is for real.

http://www.linkedin.com/ppl/webprofile?action=vmi&id=133555&authToken=8mpo&authType=name&trk=ppro_viewmore

Commish
08-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Hey!!

I miss smallball, I want to come back.

Give me some time to sort out some logistics and I will be back.

Thanks for playing smallball baseball! (and football)

BTW, I am aware of the problems and will get someone on fixing them.

see you soon!

nayrsenyah18
08-16-2007, 01:57 AM
awww date registered was today! >:(

Railhand
08-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Could this be true? If it is, how ironic. Look at his forum ID no. :D

Jim
08-16-2007, 04:06 AM
If it is him and I believe it is, then hoooray and welcome back!! 8)

SlipnSliders
08-16-2007, 04:12 AM
Am I dreaming? Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Pizzarony
08-16-2007, 04:14 AM
Hey!!

see you soon!

Commish would sign in as Commissioner... I think...

Fwaltonbvike
08-16-2007, 04:17 AM
If it is you,WHERE YOU BEEN AT DUDE?

LoL

ERG
08-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Hey!!

see you soon!

This has to be too good to be true! If it is, it's a shame! But if it isn't, YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!

--AND THE SMALLBALL PAGES ARE WORKING!

Roughnecks
08-16-2007, 04:35 AM
Cool, now about those tickets.... ;)

ERG
08-16-2007, 04:43 AM
Cool, now about those tickets.... ;)

I was actually thinking about this....If Commish comes back he's going to have some people to get teams and tickets to (not me).

AND, 700 teams should be able to go back on sale finally....

Pizzarony
08-16-2007, 04:44 AM

I'm guessing that he sold out of those, and he left with the purchasing still open.

medric822
08-16-2007, 04:57 AM
I was actually thinking about this....If Commish comes back he's going to have some people to get teams and tickets to (not me).

Unless they are sold out, which I doubt. Imagine the problem he'd have if he sold more 700 teams than there actualy were.

Pizzarony
08-16-2007, 05:02 AM
Unless they are sold out, which I doubt. Imagine the problem he'd have if he sold more 700 teams than there actualy were.

I smell 600's :)

SB_Knights
08-16-2007, 05:05 AM
I'll beleive it if I see him post more then just once.

But the user ID seems almost perfect doesn't it, for someone who left SB fans spinning in hell for ages.

Roughnecks
08-16-2007, 05:16 AM
I was kinda refering to all the ticket's people bought and never recived, But I like those idea's too.

Beaner
08-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Hmmmm... Just might be him since the pages are indeed fixed. A certain person around here here did leave him a VM message about this problem within the last couple of days. Perhaps he got that message and acted on it. :o

P.S. After looking at his post several times, my "handwriting" analysis concludes a possible match in both tone and style.

Pizzarony
08-16-2007, 05:44 AM
pizzaguy crosses his fingers

tthomp
08-16-2007, 06:03 AM
He has the mark of the beast. Did you see his forum id ?

Bailey
08-16-2007, 06:31 AM
hey, did everyone see this, lol

when i log in to chat tomorrow and see that 50 people are online for a tourney then what do we talk about

SlipnSliders
08-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Hmmmm... Just might be him since the pages are indeed fixed. A certain person around here here did leave him a VM message about this problem within the last couple of days. Perhaps he got that message and acted on it. :o

P.S. After looking at his post several times, my "handwriting" analysis concludes a possible match in both tone and style.

I noticed that his typing and grammar has been very similar to the Commish of old. Could this be?

Illini Boy
08-16-2007, 07:32 AM
omg! Commish?!? It has to be him!

mlthmp
08-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Welcome back :)

Its very good to see you around again.. I fully believe this person is the commish. Too much going on with the League pages and footy being back up all around the same time.

Thank you very much!

LCD
08-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Hey!!

see you soon!

Where the hell where you while this game went to hell over the last 18 months?

id think we all deserve an answer to that question before we go into any teary welcome back hooray mode

-FM-
08-16-2007, 08:13 AM
He has the mark of the beast. Did you see his forum id ?
Yeah that is weird 666 I dont like that ID# and if it is him Welcom back commish!!!!1

Bailey
08-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Welcome back :)

Its very good to see you around again.. I fully believe this person is the commish. Too much going on with the League pages and footy being back up all around the same time.

Thank you very much!
on another note, everything comes back up and it now gives one the opportunity to make up a commish scandal,

im still open, and very hopeful for this game

medric822
08-16-2007, 08:44 AM
how Smallball was created:

"In the beginning, Ed created the players and the fields....."

Or the "scientific" version:

"A Huge explosion caused the players and the fields to form over many many long cold nights of Raman Noodles for dinner...."

Martin
08-16-2007, 08:45 AM
FYI, he couldn't sign in as Commissioner since I have that name reserved already. Everyone cross your fingers.

Jon

Are my knuckles supposed to be this white?

Bailey
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
how Smallball was created:

"In the beginning, Ed created the players and the fields....."

Or the "scientific" version:

"A Huge explosion caused the players and the fields to form over many many long cold nights of Raman Noodles for dinner...."
so are you saying that this is the second coming

reminds me of the locker in men in black

oh j can you sing"
lol

medric822
08-16-2007, 08:51 AM
so are you saying that this is the second coming

Lol, didn't mean for that to happen, lol. But you may be able to compare this to all the "Jesus is Coming Back" claims in the 80's and 90's that were publicided.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Ladies and Gentlemen, lets please get back on topic. Thank you.

FoxXx
02-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Hey!!

see you soon!
????See you soon huh?...pft.

mlthmp
02-11-2008, 11:41 PM
????See you soon huh?...pft.

Wow.. way to dig up an old topic.. lol

Have faith. I truly believe one day commish will be back.. Just look at the simple fact the game has been repaired every time theres been a major problem.. And no, I don't need anyone to remind me about this bug, or that whatever. lol I know the shape the game is in.. but im just saying..

FoxXx
02-11-2008, 11:46 PM
well hopefully, but from the looks of things it does not appear that commish is even thinking about smallball or the community he created and abrubtly left, since he has not stopped in and said "hey, how everything goin", or anything of that matter.So...yea...???

mlthmp
02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Uhmm.

If he didn't care he wouldn't fix the problems once he is made aware of them.. Lets face the facts that we as a community do not NEED to have his presence around everyday. We have managed on our own thanks to people like Jon and GW for quite awhile, while most gaming communities would have just folded.

Yes, it would be nice to see him around more often, but lets be honest....most of the "bugs" newer people are complaining about where old news when *I* started playing.. lol.. its not like much thought was put into it back then either :P

As I said, I fully believe he will return one day, but just like you and me he also has a life and he has to do what he has to do.

I'd rather not have to defend myself (again) when someone decides to jump me (again) for sticking up for the guy (again) I will agree the customer support aspect needs alot of work (Mall, etc) but I just don't believe he no longer cares about this game.. one major reason is if he didn't this game wouldn't no longer exist. He would have shut it down, and pulled the plug when Andnow parted ways.

Hooter
02-12-2008, 12:00 AM
When I read the Chat of Commish when he visited, he keeps mentioning he want's to EASE back into the Game.

But does not want to overload himself. He is scared to do so and most likely has so much stuff to do that it would be come problematic and disencouraging to do so.

I know how that feels, anyone that has ever has had any kind of serious problems such as Money Problems, you just don't want to look at what is wrong. Such as Bills if you have too many and are behind, your scared to open a letter to see what it may say.

I think that is how he is approaching the game, fear. But slowly, most of the time, they just get it over with and finally do what they want to do and then it isn't such a hassle anymore.

Does any of this make any sense?

FoxXx
02-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Well after reading your post you have changed my perspective on the subject at hand, but at the same time, in the back of my mind there is still that thought of, if he "loves" us, why did he leave?

thanks for your insight mlthmp,and yes it makes sense Hooter!
;)

Jonathan
02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
This will be really great to have him back. Who knows, he may add some things to this place and fix all the wrongs and stuff like that. Then again, that may not happen at all, but anyway, it is great to have him back.

BryceHockey
02-12-2008, 12:06 PM
This will be really great to have him back. Who knows, he may add some things to this place and fix all the wrongs and stuff like that. Then again, that may not happen at all, but anyway, it is great to have him back.

Read the dates on these posts...

:director:

TiCal
02-12-2008, 09:14 PM
its so weird that his forum id is 666.

it is spooky since he came out of nowhere in the post!

mlthmp
02-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Commish was online today.
No posts, but he did visit.

MagicT
02-12-2008, 11:02 PM
As one who has personally poured his heart and soul into a software project, working 60-80 hour weeks for three straight years, when we went live, it was about 8 months before I hit a wall and just couldn't face it any more.

This was my "baby", born of blood, sweat, tears, flashes of brilliance and endless cups of coffee, but ultimately, I had to hand it over. I had no emotional strength left to answer the endless questions, fix the endless stream of bugs and enhancement.

Now, I don't know if Commish put in the same endless hours, but judging by the design, I'd have to guess yes, especially if he was holding a "day job" while he was putting this together.

Having to be Mommy, Daddy, Guru and God to an entire internet community is more than we should expect of a human being. He shared his genius with us in a way that few seldom do.

My hope is that he returned to living after what must have been endess hours of testing a labor of love. SmallBall is probably the closest that any man will ever come to giving birth. Do you have any idea how much effort it takes to push this much code through the birth canal?

I understand if he fights an inner battle between returning to the glory days of SmallBall and wanting to live. Like mlthmp said, we have found a way to keep the community alive, which is a testament to Commish.

-MagicT

mlthmp
02-12-2008, 11:15 PM
wow.. what a post.
Thats a real heart felt post..

SmallBall is probably the closest that any man will ever come to giving birth. Do you have any idea how much effort it takes to push this much code through the birth canal?

Disturbing, but very head-on as well. That was just an amazing post..

I can honestly say one thing.. I hope one day he reads that post.. I think he'd be touched.

FoxXx
02-12-2008, 11:23 PM
agreed

Jonathan
02-13-2008, 02:19 PM
its so weird that his forum id is 666.

it is spooky since he came out of nowhere in the post!
I don't see what there is to worry about that number. I won't explain why here, but if anyone has questions they can pm me.

Chippy
02-13-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't see what there is to worry about that number. I won't explain why here, but if anyone has questions they can pm me.

You could argue the "Number of the Beast" is actually 616, I guess. It's debatable, although no matter what it "probably" relates to Nero.

Regardless, I don't think anyone's "worrying" about the number...it's just sort of funny.

Duggie
02-13-2008, 05:21 PM
You could argue the "Number of the Beast" is actually 616, I guess. It's debatable, although no matter what it "probably" relates to Nero.

Regardless, I don't think anyone's "worrying" about the number...it's just sort of funny.
I used to know the number of the beast, but then I deleted it from my cell phone. No need to call the ex-wife anymore...

mlthmp
02-13-2008, 07:39 PM
I used to know the number of the beast, but then I deleted it from my cell phone. No need to call the ex-wife anymore...

Someone should totally siggy that. lol

TiCal
02-14-2008, 02:13 PM

hahaha thats good duggie! haha

bball4lif95
02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Is commish married because what if he had a baby so it would explain why he isnt to active with smallball. Like him having a kid to watch after and most likly having another job to support. Just something if not already known.

mlthmp
02-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Is commish married because what if he had a baby so it would explain why he isnt to active with smallball. Like him having a kid to watch after and most likly having another job to support. Just something if not already known.

Commish is married.. he said so himself.. His wife trained a team at one point.. I remember reading one of his posts saying that explains all the SmallBall questions she had been asking.

On a side note, I think we should leave the man's personal life out of it. The simple fact is he had his reasons for whatever he had to do. He may decide to share them with us, and he might not. I do know he is a family man, and therefor does have a family to support.. but I think we should leave it at that for now. Sometimes things in life are personal, and I think we should respect that.

bball4lif95
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
I respect that I was just trying to make a point that he has a family thing going on and that could be why hes not as active.

TiCal
02-14-2008, 10:21 PM
well with all this fuss about his disapparence he will see that he has very strong support from his cyber family over here at the smallball forums!!

oaf
02-15-2008, 02:10 AM
Commish is married.. he said so himself.. His wife trained a team at one point.. I remember reading one of his posts saying that explains all the SmallBall questions she had been asking.

Was that BatGirl?

mlthmp
02-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Was that BatGirl?

Im not sure.. Im pretty sure she posted in that same thread I referenced above.. but Im not sure what name she used.. I'll try and dig that topic up later in the archives..

I want to say no I don't think so.. but I'll have to find it again to make sure.. lol

Jonathan
02-15-2008, 08:04 AM

How do you get 616 out of the number of the beast?

Durin
02-15-2008, 08:16 AM
By assigning a number value to each letter of the Hebrew alphabet, it was found that the Roman emperor Nero's full name added up to either 616 or 666, depending on how you spelled it, which, among other reasons, led to the belief that Nero was the Antichrist.

mlthmp
02-15-2008, 08:49 AM
How in the world did this go from talking about the history of SmallBall, and commish to whats really the number of the beast? LOL

If you guys want to discuss the whole 616 and 666 thing thats fine, but please start a new thread for it in the correct area.

Thanks!

Jonathan
02-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't normally do this, but this is just to good of an opportunity to miss.
Read Revelation 13:18- Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is six hundred threescore and six.
A score is equal to the number twenty. So, the mark of the beast is 666. The Antichrist is not Nero. No one knows who the Antichrist is. I could go on and on about this subject, it happens to be one of my favorites to study, but I will stop here. Feel free to give me a pm if you want to discuss it further.

mlthmp
02-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Once again.. feel free to discuss these issues if you wish.. but NOT IN THIS THREAD.

I don't want to have to say it again.. ok guys? lets not have to lock this thread for hijacking

BGabbert
03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Since I'm only in my first week. What was so great about SmallBall back in the day compared to 2008? What was going on back then that is no longer? Just curious for some of the Vets answers.

maurice2211
03-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Since I'm only in my first week. What was so great about SmallBall back in the day compared to 2008? What was going on back then that is no longer? Just curious for some of the Vets answers.

The fact that community was booming and participation in contests was not even in question back then. There were live events almost nightly and trainers made it a point to participate in them. Now its just if we there we there and still may not even participate.

Superdude
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah, from what I heard, what Mo said is pretty much true- back then was the Golden Age of Smallball. Then there was a decline, less trainers started to participate, and the status of the Commish himself was shaky (I think). I think that there was a point where the game's future was in jeopardy, but Smallball's made a recovery into the present day. Again, this is what I've heard and assumed, so it's probably wrong. Feel free to correct me if so.

dink87522
08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
So is the Commish still here?