PDA

View Full Version : Archived Training Tips: Swing Skill Training

SlipnSliders
08-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Welcome to Archived Training Tips (well mostly archived)!One of the most important things I think in SmallBall is finding success in what others have done before, and if you look around these forums and the old archived forums (http://www.archives.sbforums.org/phpBB2/index.php), you will easily find many different successes of many different trainers. So I decided to cover a topic every week or so and provide tips that I have found myself or have discovered through searching the forums and found from other players. So the first topic is the ever frustrating "Swing Skill Training"! These tips are NOT just limited to my post, ANYONE out there can post their tips and successes, in fact I strongly encourage that.

WARNING: These are just TIPS from SmallBallers from the past and present. These are what other people have found success in and that doesn't mean for sure that you will find the same success as them. So please, don't reply complaining how these didn't work, but instead reply if you have found a better or more effective way of training in that area.

Swing Skill Training

Tip from Steve99ca:
Contact is hitting the ball. Skill is where it goes after you hit it.
[size=8pt]Tip from Tim's Dodgers:
It seems to go contact, swing, power to me.

If you start training power first (and use it every day) you will get mostly contact gains. Once you are getting good in contact, you will get mostly swing.

At least that's what I have noticed.

On the same note:
The reason they don't gain much skill is probably because they need a lot more contact skill.

Contact determines if they can hit the ball at all.
Power determines how far they hit the ball.
Skill makes them place the ball better. (Maybe you've heard the term "hit 'em where the ain't")

You need to have good contact first off. (in the DT they should consistantly be over 80%)
Then move to skill next until thier total gains start to level out.
Finally power.

If you train in power first you will notice most of their gains will come in contact and swing skill. so train in the other first so you will get bigger gains and then move on to power.
Tip from OaklandA'sFan:
Now when you think of bat skill you don't really think that it's very important. I assure you, it is. For instance, my best power hitter who is also 3rd to last on the bat skill list and 5 to last on the contact list hovered around the .200 BA mark with only five homers while my second best power hitter who also isn't that great at contact but is fairly good a bat skill, hit around .350 and hit over 15 homers. Quite a difference. See, power is great if you wanna hit the ball out of the park, but if you don't have contact and bat skill, you wont hit the ball at all. So for all new (or even veteran) Smallball trainers, I'd strongly recommend training in bat skill as your most important skill.
Different pitchers produce different gains. Your weakest pitcher will train your hitters in contact and power more, your best pitcher mainly in skill, then contact. I think the variations are slight, and more noticeable for lower star teams.
With your FPS at 99999, and minimizing you won't get any power or skill gains. If you like to use high FPS, do not minimize when training in power or skill. I use 133, which is still faster and I can minimize or leave DT open whenever I want and still get the same gains.

Tough part is getting most of your team maxed in contact, because if they are not, they will get all contact, even if the number is low. So don't minimize for the whole session, make sure u minimize one player at a time for about 8 to 10 seconds each, that way you can monitor those maxed in contact and those not.
In my experience, FPS and timehift depend on the speed of your processor. For example. I can train with my FPS set to 99999. When I minimize during contact training, if I do it for just 4 seconds I will burn half a pie and get contact and skill. If I leave it minimized, I get all contact. Same with power. However, if my friend minimizes, he has to do it really fast, like a second or 2 or he'll burn up his whole pie. I really think its dependent on your system so you have to find what works for you.

I wanna get this posted so this is all I have for now. I will add any later that I find. Please anyone add their own tips on Swing Skill Training or PM me and I'll add them to the post. I really hope this is helpful and I hope to bring some more tips soon, whether it be on this topic or another!

Bailey
08-10-2007, 01:47 AM
i do know one thing in regards to what nmshooter has said, if i was to minimise my dt i get hardly anything from it in gains, so i only do this early on in the teams training

once i have gotten to the stage where the skill gains are of some importance to the team i will use the ST trainer and give them all a go on 4x TS

paphillyman
08-10-2007, 03:02 PM
One thing I would like to add to this:
I believe when you have you guy maxed in contact , you better not have him maxed in swing skill also , if you do , expect a big slump. There are always a few guys on a team that dont take to contact hitting too well , usually they are very good at swing skill , so I max these guys in swing skill , combined with power and presto , they hit good.

So having a guy that in maxed in swing skill but not too good in contact hitting , gives you a guide for the guys that you have maxed in contact , It is important NOT to have your guys maxed in both skills , you will find out on your own , Im sure. ;D

SlipnSliders
08-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I believe when you have you guy maxed in contact , you better not have him maxed in swing skill also , if you do , expect a big slump. There are always a few guys on a team that dont take to contact hitting too well , usually they are very good at swing skill , so I max these guys in swing skill , combined with power and presto , they hit good.

So having a guy that in maxed in swing skill but not too good in contact hitting , gives you a guide for the guys that you have maxed in contact , It is important NOT to have your guys maxed in both skills , you will find out on your own , Im sure. ;D

Very good addition. Thank you Paphilly! That's something I hadn't picked up looking through all the tips on the old forums. We need some more additions like this!

michman0
08-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Another quick tip to point out is you can gain more swing skill through actually placing them at the plate on the field (in DT). Those lacking in contact will generally bring in close to equal gains in skill and contact, while those with high or maxed contact will bring in virtaully all skill (with an occasional power point).

mels sox
09-08-2007, 09:49 AM
im new to this game (like one week old) and i dont understand how you train hitting in the different categories (skill, power, etc). is this only a feature in deluxe trainer???

chspogo
09-08-2007, 10:41 AM
im new to this game (like one week old) and i dont understand how you train hitting in the different categories (skill, power, etc). is this only a feature in deluxe trainer???

In the Deluxe trainer there are 2 cages, Contact and Power. There is also a field (similar to the Standard trainer) where Skill training occurs. When training in one of these skills, one will typically gain MORE of that skill, but not ONLY that skill. So if you're training in the contact cage, you'll get mostly contact, some skill, and little power.

If you just started a new team, you should have about 3 days of FREE Deluxe trainer use on that team. Good luck.

You could also check the Assistant Trainer board to see if anyone has a DT team that needs to be trained for a while. Then you can get a feel for the Dexule Trainer (DT).

steve99ca
11-02-2007, 06:22 AM

At 1 time, i had 8 out of 9 players on my field maxed in all 3 hitting skills. They played real good.