PDA

View Full Version : Take a base

Gunnen
01-26-2009, 02:26 PM
How come when 4 balls are thrown some of the batters trot to first base and some walk slowly? does this have to do with their run speed?
thanks for the help

*THE*MANNY
01-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't know if anyone (except Commmish) knows for sure, but my guess is that it would be random. I never noticed a correlation to run spped or anything, but then again, I haven't had a walk or given out a walk in ages.

Vriezzer
01-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Probably to let you know wich players are lazy and wich ones really want to play and run :P

Gunnen
01-26-2009, 04:17 PM
but then again, I haven't had a walk or given out a walk in ages.
tryin to brag?? j/k

thanks apreciate the quick response

redbirds33
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Decent pitchers don't walk batters in SmallBall. It's a sign you have posted in the correct forum, lol, sorry.

It's an interesting question. I have no idea but once you've trained your pitchers a little and you start facing tougher competition, you'll pretty much never see a walk.

Gunnen
01-26-2009, 04:30 PM
cool, well i just started and it buged me good thing i don't have to worry 'bout it later on lol atleast i hope i don't =)

redbirds33
01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
It's a great question though. It sparks my curiosity. I would guess it has to do with speed, but who knows? Maybe it's completely random.

I do know this: your time and research is better spent on other things, like who gains and maintains different skills at what rates.

Gunnen
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
was just an observation =)

Rsandz
01-26-2009, 05:28 PM
It could have something to do with mood

Roughnecks
01-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Very interesting question. Try paying attention to see if it's the same players. Nice post. To me it means you are paying attention to the details. Good training awareness.

Beaner
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
I was always under the impression that walks in Smallball had more to do with the skill level of the batter than that of the pitcher.

Anyway, I don't recall every noticing that some walked and some trotted. I just remember it taking a player forever to walk to 1B. Very interesting observation.

Krawlers8789
01-26-2009, 11:48 PM
I was always under the impression that walks in Smallball had more to do with the skill level of the batter than that of the pitcher.

That was true a while ago. It used to be that when a batter didn't swing, it was a ball no matter what. Players with low bat skill didn't swing much, so they would walk a lot. I remember a tourney some time ago where a 7* maxed in everything but hitting made it to the semifinals and almost beat me due to all the runs walked in.

*THE*MANNY
01-27-2009, 05:46 PM
That was true a while ago. It used to be that when a batter didn't swing, it was a ball no matter what. Players with low bat skill didn't swing much, so they would walk a lot. I remember a tourney some time ago where a 7* maxed in everything but hitting made it to the semifinals and almost beat me due to all the runs walked in.

Yeah I think I remember hearing about that some time ago. I thought it was teams that didn't train in contact not skill that never (not ACTUALLY never) swung at pitches. I thought Commish changed that or something because people weren't training in hitting and winning almost solely on walks and the amazing defense they got by using TP normally for offense on defense. But I don't know for sure, that was waaaaaay before my time I believe. I was probably still in diapers back then.