PDA

View Full Version : Post-Training

Roughnecks
01-07-2009, 09:22 AM
How long after training do skills actually get applied.

Instantly or is there a deley?

Beaner
01-07-2009, 09:45 AM
As soon as the stars appear above the player's head, they are applied.

willybang
01-07-2009, 01:07 PM
As soon as the stars appear above the player's head, they are applied.

Normally...

But...
If you are using 99999 fps..you are accelerating your PC clock
The question is... are you actually accelerating the server gains???
If you initiate a game, you can timeshift and watch it, but it won't finish earier..

By using high fps you are in effect Timeshifting training...
So do you think it is still instant, or delayed? :idea: hmmm.

Roughnecks
01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Thats during training. I mean after you close out the DT or ST. Are the skills applied to you team at that moment or is there a server delay. If you initiate a game right after your training session, are the skills there. Because as soon as your done training you don't move up the stars list for some time. I think the lists and leauges must get updated about every 1/2 hour or hour. I don't think your skills are applied until the next update. Just guessing. Does anybody know for sure?

jwizz
01-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Normally...

i think skill is still instantly gained when FPS is cranked up, i put my fps on 99999 and sometime 333(because of vista) and when i move up star levels its done automatically

For Example:
i train my 1* team with FPS at 99999 and they moved up to 2* i check on the team page imidiatly afther i train and there it shows 2*..so i think no matter what as soon as the stars show up above the player skill is gained

willybang
01-07-2009, 02:59 PM
It will be interesting to see what others have to say on that Jwizz,

Because from my own experiences, my teams have NEVER moved on the lists straight after training..
Not for around an hour, unless I initiate, or someone plays me, then it moves as per the next server update..

So for that reason I always leave it at least an hour after training before initiating a PL or UL game.

I seem to remember it being discussed on older forums, so it may be in the archives...
I'm sure one of the longer serving members will remember it ....???

epiphanic
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Because as soon as your done training you don't move up the stars list for some time. I think the lists and leauges must get updated about every 1/2 hour or hour.

The fact that the star/stadium lists don't update instantaneously doesn't necessarily mean that the training isn't updated instantaneously.

I think the trainer sends updated info (Catch +3, etc.) every star cycle. I seem to remember someone (Nelmo?) using a QT ticket while the trainer was open. (He was logged into the team on two seperate machines.) While the trainer was open, he applied the ticket and and stars fell on the players. Of course this is hearsay coming from me, but it could be tested again. Or, if you don't want to use a QT ticket, you could set your team to passive training and initiate a game on one machine while the trainer is open on another. It should work the same in theory.

oaf
01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Because as soon as your done training you don't move up the stars list for some time. I think the lists and leauges must get updated about every 1/2 hour or hour. I don't think your skills are applied until the next update. Just guessing. Does anybody know for sure?

As Nic said, the star lists and leagues aren't updated immediately. However, your team page is updated as soon as you close your training session (by refreshing the team page.) This shows that skills are applied immediately.

However, some people have found that after training certain skills, it is best to wait a bit before initiating a game. I think this might depend on each individual team.

Beaner
01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I may be wrong on many things concerning this game, but I was certain on this one lol. Commish has said from the very beginning that the stars are an indication that the server is applying the gains at that moment.

I've never used TS to train (only to FF thru games), but I would think that the stars are triggered by the server recording the gains, regardless.

That being said, I have never been a fan of initiating games immediately after training. Maybe there is really something to it, or it's just a "superstition". Much like how I don't like bat training with my guy crowding the plate. ;)

*THE*MANNY
01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Much like how I don't like bat training with my guy crowding the plate. ;)

Rofl, really? I always put my guy as far away from home as I can, too. Lol. They never seem to hit it when they're close. I don't think it effects gains though.

Roughnecks
01-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Oaf's right, I forgot, your team page does update immediately after. And if Beaner demands he's right, it has to be. Thanks guy's.

DarkElf
01-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Normally...

But...
If you are using 99999 fps..you are accelerating your PC clock
The question is... are you actually accelerating the server gains???
If you initiate a game, you can timeshift and watch it, but it won't finish earier..

Whatever gains a player had during a cycle are reported to the server and the stars appear over his head. Doesn't matter if he gains +1 in a cycle normally or +10 because of FPS. There's no delay.

I seem to remember someone (Nelmo?) using a QT ticket while the trainer was open. (He was logged into the team on two seperate machines.) While the trainer was open, he applied the ticket and and stars fell on the players. Of course this is hearsay coming from me, but it could be tested again. Or, if you don't want to use a QT ticket, you could set your team to passive training and initiate a game on one machine while the trainer is open on another. It should work the same in theory.

I'm sure several of us do (or did) this; it's the only way to see who gains what when a QT is applied. But it works the same way with normal training too: if a guy gains +2 when training in session 1, it's reported at the end of the cycle, and then when the cycle is over in session 2, the gains from that cycle in session 1 are displayed on session 2. :crazy:

It should be noted that lineup changes are NOT reported to the server until you close the training session.

Rofl, really? I always put my guy as far away from home as I can, too. Lol. They never seem to hit it when they're close. I don't think it effects gains though.

Contact percentages are exactly the same, regardless of where you place him in relation to the plate. See the other thread from yesterday on this.

http://www.smallball.org/showthread.php?t=10003

Also, just so you know, affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

epiphanic
01-08-2009, 09:17 AM

Actually, just so you know, "effect" can be a verb and "affect" can be a noun. ;)

However, "affect" is the correct choice in Manny's sentence.

Funny, yet related, image (http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/effect_an_effect.png)!

DarkElf
01-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes, of course, but as you said, not in the context of the previous post.

Some people may think it's scary how much analysis I put in the SmallBall. Here's something even more scary: I actually _enjoy_ reading grammar lessons on the web. :out:

Oh, and I realized this morning that what I posted regarding the gains, that was for DT. I have no idea how ST reporting works, though I presume it's the same. Confirmation from an ST trainer would be good.

I also thought about how mood training updates. Are increases in mood reported immediately too, or when the trainer is closed? I think I'll test that tonight...

epiphanic
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Oh, and I realized this morning that what I posted regarding the gains, that was for DT. I have no idea how ST reporting works, though I presume it's the same. Confirmation from an ST trainer would be good.

ST gains are reported in the little message area for the highlighted player. It'll say Catch +2 then Throw +1 or whatever, one skill at a time. There is no report system that breaks down the total gains for each player at the end of each training session. The best that could be done is watching stars fall on the players when the QT is applied (with a specific number for the highlighted player).

I also thought about how mood training updates. Are increases in mood reported immediately too, or when the trainer is closed? I think I'll test that tonight...

I think they're updated immediately as well. I don't see why they would be "delayed" while the other player attributes are updated nigh instantaneously. Furthermore, the color of the smiley face changes during the training session (when it's less than white, of course). If course, that's not definitive proof that mood is updated immediately, but I think it's good circumstantial evidence.

Here's something even more scary: I actually _enjoy_ reading grammar lessons on the web.

You're right, that is scary. Maybe we could be grammar buddies. :ashamed0005:

yungcurtis
01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
How long after training do skills actually get applied.

Instantly or is there a deley?

I think that there maybe somewhat of a delay because if a initiate a game right after a training session I usually lose. It seems to take a couple of games for the training to "kick in"

LilChris2434
01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
That signature of your looks awful familiar. I wonder where you got it from. Hmmmmm.:sosp:

LilChris2434
01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Funny, yet related, image (http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/effect_an_effect.png)!
Only you! :rofl: I'm not laughing at the image, i'm laughing because you thought the image was funny.

*THE*MANNY
01-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Ack, another W in the wins column (one L or two? Pretty sure one) for DE and Nic. Just so you know, Nic, I have been practicing using punctuation/capitalization. Notice I use periods in chat now. :biggrin5:

mlthmp
01-09-2009, 09:18 AM
There is an old thought that gains in the ST do not update right away (there hence the larger gains.. although that part I don't quite understand) but I think its pretty well generally accepted that gains in the DT are updated as they happen.. or at least once DT is closed.

epiphanic
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM
There is an old thought that gains in the ST do not update right away (there hence the larger gains.. although that part I don't quite understand) but I think its pretty well generally accepted that gains in the DT are updated as they happen.. or at least once DT is closed.

I think the reason for the larger gains is due to the Standard Trainer's update cycle is longer than the Deluxe Trainers. Since players are training for a longer time between updates, they gain more. There is another update when both trainers are closed to update and "unreported" gains from the last update cycle.