PDA

View Full Version : DT vs ST

smallballheat
11-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm sure this has come up before many a time, but how much better is Deluxe Trainer than the Standard Trainer?
I mean, can't an ST team can be just as good as a DT team? It all depends on the person training, right?
My friend has the DT and I use the ST, and so far our teams are pretty much equal, except that his always wins by a run or two.

Beaner
11-17-2008, 04:05 PM
An ST team can be as good as a DT team, but in my opinion it takes much more dedication and determination towards figuring out the best possible way to train your team.

You still have to know what you're doing with the DT, but it's much easier. It's been so long for me, I wouldn't even know where to begin training an ST team anymore, nor would I want to honestly.

I have a lot of respect for owners who are successful with ST, because I know how hard it is.

I'm a DT guy all the way. ;)

redbirds33
11-17-2008, 05:17 PM
The Legacy (and Legend) of Zachery has proven everything is possible with ST:
http://216.93.177.24/go/on.ball.team?tid=66469

I enjoy DT training so much more ST isn't worth it to me, but imo the advantage isn't anything more than that and a little time.

*THE*MANNY
11-17-2008, 05:27 PM
There was an ST team that somewhat recently won PL1 so yes, an ST team can be as good as a DT team. But like Beaner said, it takes much more dedication to make a good ST team than it does a good DT team.

You said that your teams are even except that you usually lose by one or two runs. Right there is probably the biggest difference. DT can give you those extra one to two runs that wins the ballgames.

One thing i found DT to be anywhere from 1,000,000,000 to 1,000,000,000,000 times more useful for is finding your pitcher. It is much easier to train run in DT cause all you have to do is put 'em on a track as opposed to ST where you have to click and drag forever unless you use a mouse recorder like Mike. It is also much easier to train throw specifically because in ST you get catch and throw gains from playing catch, there is no throw pen like in DT. Those are the main things that DT is better for than ST.

Some people like to use ST for hitting because they say you get more even gains. I personally prefer DT because you can train batting skills more specifically. You can't usually train 1 skill only in the batting cages or field with DT, but you can have more than one giy hitting at once if you like to train players by their hitting weaknesses.

smallballheat
11-17-2008, 05:29 PM
The Legacy (and Legend) of Zachery has proven everything is possible with ST:
http://216.93.177.24/go/on.ball.team?tid=66469

Wow, that is one awesome team. Who trains them, maybe they could give me a few tips... ;)

MANNY - Training throw power becomes difficult after a certain point in ST, but I'm just gonna have to persevere. I prefer the ST batting to the DT batting because you get a gain in every batting skill, but it does suck to only be able to train one guy at a time. Also, they have to hit off of a live pitcher, which is tough if they can't hit well...

My one and only useful tip - train your catcher in hitting off of your pitcher, since your catcher can usually hit well enough to get good gains, and then when he has no TP left let him throw BP to the rest of the guys since he will most likely be serving up meat pitches. The other guys get more hits and I feel better gains from it. :yesnod:

*THE*MANNY
11-17-2008, 05:35 PM
There's the team. I tried looking through the forums to find it for you but somehow missed it.

smallballheat
11-17-2008, 05:47 PM
One more thing to add, the team of mine I'm talking about isn't the Arizona Heat, it's my other team 565383 California Lightning. The other team that keeps beating them is my friend's team.

redbirds33
11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Zachery123us was the original trainer of that team, and he won PL1 once with them. Then he gave them to -FM-, who also won PL1 with them.

Apparently a specific training regimen was given to -FM- with the team.

epiphanic
11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
The above posters are right in saying that training in ST or DT have any effect on how good a team can be. The DT allows more specialized training, but there is nothing you can do in one, that you can't do in the other. ST isn't better or worse than the DT. It's just different.

Jagfire
11-19-2008, 12:48 AM
My Iowa Idiots are ST only and they have been very successful. Check the link in my signature.

orange20
11-19-2008, 04:38 AM
I like DT a lot better cause of the auto train feature. I can program in team to train in the skills they need and walk away. When I come back if they are still in that skill they are maxed and just move them to another skill. You cant do that with ST it is all manual.

mlthmp
11-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Thats a very good point Orange.

However, to me I believe that the ST helps give you a more "solid" team. I mean look at it this way.

In the ST you train 2 skills at a time when fielding (Throw, and catch) and sometimes you may even get a little run. In the DT you have to train each skill on their own. Which means to get to 9* you may train more in throw than catch, which could leave a hole in your defense. In the ST since they train together you have a more solid defense (again, all IMO) compared to most DT trained teams.

I am also more fond of batting in the ST since as above you get all 3 batting skills at once (power, contact, and skill) Where in the DT again all are trained separately.

Then again, there's that pesky "Power Bug" in the ST lol. Which I am starting to lean more towards it not actually being a bug, but something to help convince people they need the DT.. lol

SteveO
11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Jagfire thats the like only the second st team iv'e seen hit 10* are there any others?

redbirds33
11-19-2008, 11:11 AM
mlthmp, you make a good point about picking up several skills at once in ST. Players will gain what they want to gain rather than what you force them to. I've noticed the same thing, and I've been training my guys on the field in DT more often over the last several weeks for that very reason.

-FM-
11-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Honestly, I love training ST. Especially with a team like 86288. You get to understand so much from it. But, like the others said, It does take time and dedication to have a successful ST team. It's not hard or anything, just takes time and patience.

Yes, DT does have its advantages, but with ST, I believe a team can be more balanced then a DT team would. Like Mike said, you could train them in the field and get both throw, and catch, and at times some run.

I've learned everything there is to know about the ST. Hey, when you get to learn from the best ST trainer in History, you learn fast. I learned everything so quick. And I thank Zach for giving me the oppertunity of doing so with 86288.

Look at Jagfires team. They hit 10* a couple of weeks ago. Look at how good they are, and balanced. You just have to know what you're doing with them, and how to use the ST.

To answer steve, yes, there has been other teams that have hit 10* with ST. 2cool did it, so did SB_Knights. Two good st trainers. That knew how to use the ST, ect.

I have been struggling a little with them the past few seasons. But watch out, they'll get back on their feet in no time. Trust me. Oh, if any ST trainers need tips, or help. You can ask me, I know pretty much everything, lol. So it wouldn't be a problem, just ask. I'll happily help you out.

epiphanic
11-19-2008, 11:37 AM
It does take time and dedication to have a successful ST team. It's not hard or anything, just takes time and patience.

And that, everyone, is the biggest secret to ST success.

smallballheat
11-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't know about time sometimes, but I try to show my team the same dedication they show me. Those little guys play their hearts out...

*THE*MANNY
11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't know about time sometimes, but I try to show my team the same dedication they show me. Those little guys play their hearts out...
:shocked:
Hehe, jk.

All this talk about ST makes me want to revive my original team. Now if i could just find my pitcher on that team . . .