PDA

View Full Version : So let's start squeezing some balls around here

YagaDan
11-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Ideas to improve SmallBall Football

Improvement A
Had to see this coming.

Kickoffs.
-Positioning of players on the kick-off should be so that they don't have to scramble back into their right position allowing the opposing team to drive through before they are organized.
-(Optional) Make the ball go backwards on second touch. How it is done in real life, would be nice to see a team win a game by starting attacks from midfield instead of breakaways from center.

Improvement B

Scoring Chances.
-Driving to the net from 30 yards out seems to be the best way to score these days, and if you ask me.. it gets rather boring. I would like to see more play directed on the wings and more plays into the box (allow the forward and defender to battle it out for possession)

Improvement C

Corner Kicks
-You could put this with B, with scoring chances, but Corner Kicks need VAST improvement. A few simple fixes: Increase the range the ball can travel, and make the following header (if there is one) be more of a direct shot if the offensive guy wins the aerial battle, instead of a soft lob to the keeper.

Improvement D

Defense
-With these offensive improvements it would be nice to see Defenders improved by allowing them to take better angles on driving forwards. I've had enough of watching a guy chase down an attacker only to take the worst angle possible and then "glitch" and re-route himself, leaving him even further behind.

Improvement E

Goalies
-Make goalies more active in their box! Have them challenge on attackers driving all alone, no reason for a goalie to stand in his net stupified at the oncoming waves.

There is a poll attached, how do you feel about these ideas?

Is there anything you would LOVE to see fixed/done?.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, LET'S DEMAND ACTION! I don't know about you!? But I'm sick and tired of being red-headed and unloved. Send PMs to Commish saying that this game needs improved, after all these years!

YagaDan
11-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Hm, since I didn't think too hard about the poll (forgetting you wouldn't be able to pick more than one option! Perhaps another SB fix!?), I ask that you vote for the thing you feel most strongly about. Whether it's a like or a dislike of a certain improvement.

Therefore allowing us to see what YOU think should be done first/last

lostpatriot
11-06-2009, 08:00 AM
I believe setting the poll to allow multiple votes is allowed by selecting the option when making the poll.

Overall theses fixes would be fine by me. I really wish the corner kick was better implemented. How many goals have come off of corner kicks? I cannot remember any, and the ones that have been scored probably have nothing to do with it coming off of a corner kick. I would love to see a header towards the goal after the kick.

The fix I really want to see is adding a Drive sort "button" in the trainer. This may seem like a dumb fix to put at the top of my list, but this would make training that much easier for me. If nothing else at least make the current drive sort list update after skill gains. Right now you have to re-click Drive in the sort by menu to get an updated list.

redbirds33
11-06-2009, 08:52 AM
The kickoff needs to go forward (that's soccer/football), but I agree that the defense should be in position to stop the attack.

Headers need to be a threat. This is a big fix. It fixes the wing play, the scoring chances, and the corner kicks. A header-shot should be possible, but I would make it like half the shot power and half the shot accuracy as his regular shots.

The goalie play I agree. I really wish the goalies would punt after making a save. This would make kick power and important skill for goalies. There is some combo of intercept and run that can lead to your goalie coming off his line to get a loose ball, but it's still inconsistent.

keltis
11-06-2009, 01:34 PM
If I could change anything it would be to make headers go a shorter distance but carry more power, this would be more realistic than defenders heading further than they can kick and it would mean more goals from corners as a header is powered past a keeper.

The keeper shouldn't always catch the saves they should bounce back into play or go behind for a corner.

These would make for more exciting goalmouth incidents and would favour attacking teams but on the other hand may make the scores unrealistically high

Rally
11-06-2009, 01:57 PM
iHaven't been playing footy long enough....But Commish, footy needs WORK!:banghead:
That's probably the reason ihaven't played it for so long.:skep:

epiphanic
11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Giving my thoughts on each one.

Kickoffs - I don't see this as a huge deal. It happens occasionally in real soccer, and I don't think it's a plague for the game.

Scoring Chances - Having goals coming from crosses would change the game and one that I think could be quite exciting. Would such a change make formation selection more strategic? If so, I support that.

Corner Kicks - As Yaga mentioned, this is related to crosses. I have seen goals on corner kicks, but they are rare. The great majority of the time the ball is cleared with a massive header (side note: Keltis' point about players heading the ball 50 yards is a good one). Making corner kicks more valuable would be good, I think.

Defense - This is probably the best suggestion. It's frustrating to see one of my defenders hitching when he's giving chase. On the flip side, seeing one of my forwards gaining space because of it is nice because it's easier goals. But I agree that fixing the defensive hitches would be a huge improvement.

Goalies - I'm fine with this one as well.

I do think it's important to consider how this changes the results of the game. Whatever those might be.

YagaDan
11-06-2009, 05:21 PM
The kickoff needs to go forward (that's soccer/football).

Yeah man, I played for 18 years, I get kickoffs. That's why I said 2nd touch. Watch any Premier League around the world and I'd say about 95% of the time the ball goes back after the pass forward. That's what I'm asking to be implemented.

I do think it's important to consider how this changes the results of the game. Whatever those might be.

Yeah, I figured that if all (or really, a few) of these were fixed/enhanced, games would be much more strategic. Goals would come at a premium. But I'm really just aiming at whatever everyone thinks is the most important to fix.

bbg
11-06-2009, 06:02 PM

I totally agree with you nic

The idea I like most is the crossing and attacking headers , ive always been fustrated by the amount and quality of crosses in the game, improving this could make the game much more interesting tacticly.
Another possible improvements I can think of is having fouls and thus free kicks and possibly penaltys.
The thing i would most like done is to improve the players intelligence or "football brain" What I mean by this is id like to see is guys passing to the man in space rather than to the guy who is marked, driving into the free space rather than passing, at least trying to stay/ get back onside,or as mentioned randomly deciding to go to their default possition instead of chasing the guy with the ball.
any/all of these would make the game more realistic and less predictable

blameitonchemo
11-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Giving my thoughts on each one.

Kickoffs - I don't see this as a huge deal. It happens occasionally in real soccer, and I don't think it's a plague for the game.

Scoring Chances - Having goals coming from crosses would change the game and one that I think could be quite exciting. Would such a change make formation selection more strategic? If so, I support that.

Corner Kicks - As Yaga mentioned, this is related to crosses. I have seen goals on corner kicks, but they are rare. The great majority of the time the ball is cleared with a massive header (side note: Keltis' point about players heading the ball 50 yards is a good one). Making corner kicks more valuable would be good, I think.

Defense - This is probably the best suggestion. It's frustrating to see one of my defenders hitching when he's giving chase. On the flip side, seeing one of my forwards gaining space because of it is nice because it's easier goals. But I agree that fixing the defensive hitches would be a huge improvement.

Goalies - I'm fine with this one as well.

All my feelings exactly.

YagaDan
11-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Off topic, but is anyone noticing that the footy pages aren't updating or is it just me?

I don't know how to fix the poll. So, it is as it is.

lostpatriot
11-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Pages have not updated for a couple days. It is quite annoying.

bbg
11-07-2009, 12:19 PM
yeah i noticed that yaga, they havent updated for 2 days, if you look in recent games there are a few games "playing" that were played on the 5th
Mabye should make a post in bugs/complaints to see if commish picks it up?

jwizz
11-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Footy needs some work! Commish if you want to make more money and better Smallball work on Footy! Just take some time away from Baseball and help us at the football side. update team pages, make new tickets, make stadiums, etc.. I know it's easier said than done, but this should be top priority on your list.

mitype2
11-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree with Wizzy. Pull your thumb out and help us out.

bbg
11-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Ive started a thread in bugs complains section about this , I would think its more likely to get noticed there

redbirds33
11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah, this is definitely in the wrong forum.