PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod-ish players

ssambrosa11
07-07-2007, 02:12 PM
has there every been on the team that you a training that one player who seems to just absolutly obliterate anything thrown at him? in the years that i have been playing smallball, this has got to be the most 1 handed controling person i have ever used.
i have taken to calling this "A-Rod-ish" as... well the Yankees can tell you why.

In all fairness, the entire team has been doing pretty well with regards to batting, and stats have been padded by certain User League games, but even without them I think you would still be looking at a descrepancy.

the line on the "A-Rod"

11 Daniele De Rossi
C
GP: 30
AB:146
Hits: 77
Avg: .527
1B: 64
2B: 1 (they cant run yet)
3B: 1 (again, they cant run yet or the ball drops too quick lol)
HR: 18
RBI: 65

What I consider to be second best, the "Bobby Abreu" if you may.....
9 Shakes
RF
GP:30
AB: 151
Hits: 82
Avg: .543
1B: 86
2B: 4
3B: 0
HR: 8
RBI: 32

I think you can see that for yourself. Average, hits all of that pretty close, but De Rossi seems to hit everything out of the park without even trying. I havent trained him in hitting in the past week, and he has hit 9 in the week. Go Figure ::) But what i wanted to know was if anyone else has ever had this happen to them??? Have one player just absolutly smash everything, and everyone else just there to take their money??

stubs
07-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I've trained on a few teams like this. I have read in the past (and experienced it too) that training in hitting takes about 2 or 3 days to take effect. So if you trained Tuesday and Thursday (assuming the --24hr-bench/48hr-field-- full pie training method), you would see them start hitting pretty well by Friday or Saturday. Don't expect that every season will be like this with the same player. It seems that players hit peaks and valley no matter what your training method is. That's why it is important to watch the games to see what the player is doing. The earlier you catch their shortcomings for the season, the better prepared they are for that season (assuming you train them in those shortcomings).

Kiwi-MAN
07-07-2007, 03:49 PM
This happened to my team, my catcher was on fire and batted .620 last season with 120 rbi's, he was the best on my team by far, and still is, this season he has the best avg.with 320. avg but the runs batted in are way down but because the teams i play now are better then the teams I played then

Bailey
07-07-2007, 04:06 PM
i certainly do have 1 player, but this season i have had 3-4 players come a bit closer to him, its been my defence that has let me down though, then again i am in an offence stad

i have been thinking of leftying him but i am not really sure if i will help or hinder him yet, and as he is my best player and all

stubs
07-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Don't know where it originated but follow this quote:
"Never mess with a GOOD thing!"

philgil
07-07-2007, 04:10 PM
not this season for me but in the past i also have players like that its great to have

Bailey
07-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Don't know where it originated but follow this quote:
"Never mess with a GOOD thing!"
i keep coming back to that, but then i ask myself if it is good enough, yet?

stubs
07-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm not saying it will be bad or good if you do it. Actually, I heard that if the player is good, switching him shouldn't do anything (at least not his defense). You just need to hold him on the bench a for a week or so training in hitting to get him up to speed and then another week or so to get his defense back up to speed. I have trained many switchs and found differences but it may have been because I wasn't sure how to best train them after the switch.

medric822
07-07-2007, 04:28 PM
On my one team, 514243, I have a player with the name of Slugger. His name was very fitting since he would crush the ball 600 ft.

JTTHEBRICK
07-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I just leftied Jim Thorpe on my team was my 2nd best power, 4th best skill, 5th best contact, after one power sessoin he was back to 2nd, but still working on skill and contact.

As for the player who's "arod ish" that would be Kyle Thorpe on my team hitting much more hrs than anyone and cruising around .500 avg... my team is hitting awesome as a whole this season though too. KT is also my best overall fielder too.

Ivy
07-07-2007, 05:08 PM
I name players by their abilities to help me out

Example: Aramis Ramirez: Can't Run, descent throw, (absolutly no) OF, but can hit for HR and RBI, 3,4,5,6 Hitter

medric822
07-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Thats how it workls with lefties. I made the mistake of using a lefty, then not training for a few hours. I didn't get the boost on either player I used one on, and I had to take my top power hitters out of the lineup. But they are both back now.

Ironicly, after I used them, my team jumped to 9*, lol. :o

stubs
07-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Example: Aramis Ramirez: Can't Run, descent throw, (absolutly no) OF, but can hit for HR and RBI, 3,4,5,6 Hitter

You definitely hit the nail on the head with that one! 8)

Junkybird
07-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I have exactly that (a-rod-ish) player on my team.

1 Dirk Nowitzki
Position: RF
Games: 93
At bats: 452
Hits: 198
Avg: .438
1B: 135
2B: 12
3B: 3
Homeruns: 63
RBI's: 131

This is all against high quality 9* and 10* teams. All of your players can have a season like this, it just takes time, and patience, to know how to train them individually to get them this way. I have not figured out how to do this yet, other wise I'd be unstoppable.

Honestly, I dont think its possible to figure this out. With the skill loss after every season, and trying to factor in each players game play abilities after certain training days, it would take an absolute GENIUS to figure out how to train each player according to these things to make the whole team an a-rod-ish TEAM. Maybe it'll happen one day, then again, we might see Martin win PL1 at the same time. Who might of thunk it?

Pizzarony
07-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I didn't know that the Smallball guys could cheat on their wives too? :o

Kiwi-MAN
07-07-2007, 06:49 PM
I didn't know that the Smallball guys could cheat on their wives too? :o

haha :laugh:

mlthmp
07-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Player 12, on my 212806 usually ends up with almost double what everyone else has.. this season things kinda rounded out a little better though.. he was second in most categories.. but usually he is all over everything.. He happens to be my pitcher but sometimes I put him at 1st as well.. lol

Bailey
07-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Player 12, on my 212806 usually ends up with almost double what everyone else has.. this season things kinda rounded out a little better though.. he was second in most categories.. but usually he is all over everything.. He happens to be my pitcher but sometimes I put him at 1st as well.. lol
just as long as your not putting your 1st and pitcher, lol

Devils Disciples
07-08-2007, 10:12 AM
On 2781 mostly all my guys are "A-Rod-ish". A few guys on 6160 are like this also. Then on 492000 everyone that plays are "A-Rod-ish" players since I play in Homerun Park.

Ivy
07-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Ryne Sandburg from LF to Bench, Aramis Ramirez from Bench to 3rd, Leon Durham from 3rd to LF

oaf
07-09-2007, 07:24 PM
I used to have a player named Barry Bonds, but his SmallRoids prescription ran out and he retired.