PDA

View Full Version : Order

houski999
07-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey was just wondering how you guys set out the order of your batsmen and what you look for?

Naugels
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
This may not be everyones idea of a line up but heres mine

my Pl9 team has 6 leftys, so I try to mix them up thru the line up

get a decent hitting fast guy to bat 1st, then a lefty who has great bat contact to bat 2nd, hitting the ball to right field (leftys) usally get the batter in front of them into scoring position

rbi hitter/hr hitter bats 4th and so on

if you have no leftys, then speed/contact guy bats 1st,good contact guy bats 2nd ect.....

hope this helps

when you play a team thats better than you, watch how the have there line up set, notice there batters stats and where he bats, sometime it helps

Jim
07-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Your first 3 hitters will almost always get one more at bat than the rest of your team. For that reason I always sort batting order by average, top to bottom, I don't pay any attention to homeruns or running speed or lefty vs. righty. Hope this helps, good luck! 8)

Bailey
07-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Your first 3 hitters will almost always get one more at bat than the rest of your team. For that reason I always sort batting order by average, top to bottom, I don't pay any attention to homeruns or running speed or lefty vs. righty. Hope this helps, good luck! 8)
this way has always made sense to me as the ave is an example of the amount of times they get hits which in turn will lead to runs, luck can do some things, but my worst hitters by contact and run are near the top in ave, and they never let me down

medric822
07-06-2007, 02:30 PM
I made a real good post about how to base your team, and it seems to be working good for my team. They still have a few kinks, but I'l smooth those out.

Bailey
07-06-2007, 02:33 PM
I made a real good post about how to base your team, and it seems to be working good for my team. They still have a few kinks, but I'l smooth those out.
you did, umm, where
please

medric822
07-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Not sure, someone gave me a +1 because of that post though.

Junkybird
07-06-2007, 07:07 PM

I agree 100%, as that's what I do, and have always done. I dont see a reason to give your worse avg players more AB than your better avg players.. do you?

Naugels
07-06-2007, 07:09 PM
well i guess i am wrong the way i am doing this it seems, i have coached little league baseball now for 8 years but no nothing about the game i guess
it works for me, take it for what its worth !!!!

NLB
07-06-2007, 07:22 PM
i personally look at avg and homeruns...i look at the ratio Hrs:AB and then whoever has the highest hes fourth and then i put the rest of my homerun hitters behind someone that usually gets on base..sometimes this works about twice a game for 2-3 run homers..i mean ive been trying alot of different things lately but this seemed to keep me in games

medric822
07-06-2007, 09:01 PM
top speed/contact guy 1st,
second, good contact, ok, power, and less speed,
3rd-5th, POWER#1 POWER#2 POWER#3
6th, good power, ok contact, decent speed
7th, little lower than 6th

Now two ways to go with the #'s 8 and 9.

OPTION #1

Have you pitcher bat 8th, and your second possible leadoff bat 9th, so you have 2 leadoffs essentially.

Option #2

Have your pitcher bat last no matter what.

This is the gist of my line up.

Naugels
07-07-2007, 03:09 AM
dead on medric
thats the point i was trying to get across
now throw in a lefty or so when you have guys on base and bingo
if you have a speedy guy on 2nd base and a lefty up to bat and he hits it to right field he is going to usally score
dont most pl1 champoinship teams have alot of leftys ?

Bailey
07-07-2007, 03:11 AM
dead on medric
thats the point i was trying to get across
now throw in a lefty or so when you have guys on base and bingo
if you have a speedy guy on 2nd base and a lefty up to bat and he hits it to right field he is going to usally score
dont most pl1 champoinship teams have alot of leftys ?
yes, but that needs to happen, they play you on your home feild,

Roughnecks
07-07-2007, 04:00 AM
I set mine up by batting avg. with the best hitting 4th(clean up)!!!! ;D

BP
07-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I have noticed over the years that certain players seem to hit better in different spots. I had a guy batting .400 at 5th so I moved him to leadoff and he hit something like .225. So I moved him back and he does way better. Get to know your team more, and just try some different things and see what works.

willybang
07-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I have noticed over the years that certain players seem to hit better in different spots. I had a guy batting .400 at 5th so I moved him to leadoff and he hit something like .225. So I moved him back and he does way better. Get to know your team more, and just try some different things and see what works.

Absolutely right BP!

Smallball has its quirks ...
and while its good to base your lineup around the qualities of a real life team like Medric quoted above....
I have found that in all my teams (I was training 15 at one time) certain players will only perform well
when batting in a particular spot in the lineup. Also, sometimes two players perform best at the same
spot :-\ thats when the head scratching starts, its what makes the game so interesting!

Junkybird
07-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Absolutely right BP!

Smallball has its quirks ...
and while its good to base your lineup around the qualities of a real life team like Medric quoted above....
I have found that in all my teams (I was training 15 at one time) certain players will only perform well
when batting in a particular spot in the lineup. Also, sometimes two players perform best at the same
spot :-\ thats when the head scratching starts, its what makes the game so interesting!

Hmm, that makes me wonder about sorting your lineup by avg. If this is indeed true, then we shouldn't sort lineups by avg, because your players got their avg from the spot in the lineup they were already in.

Hmm. Time to experiment. :)

stubs
07-08-2007, 05:34 AM
....certain players will only perform well
spot....

Hmmm, have you found this to be true season to season or is it different each season. I have never tested this theory myself so I guess that adds 1 more variable to the equation (training+timing of played games+SB Effect=WIN). But I have found the SB Effect always seems to be different each season.

medric822
07-08-2007, 05:46 AM

Yeah, that is a good point that I nearly forgot all about.

mlthmp
07-08-2007, 10:27 AM
Here is what I usually do when I am uncertain about my lineup.

I play about 10 games against a semi-good team (like the Iliad, or another tema on the 10* retired list)
After those games I go by whoever has the best averages.. top to bottom, best to worst.. then I make minor changes as needed according to running speed, etc but I usually don't move anymore more than 1 or 2 spots after I setup by average.

houski999
07-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all your replys, i'm trying to take a bit of advice from every post and hopefully it will help me move up .

thankyou

paphillyman
07-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I do different things all the time , but 1 main thing I look for is who is hitting the homers , then scatter them in the line-up so hopefully you end up getting 2 or 3 run homers , I do mix my line-up all the time though. ;D

Bailey
07-10-2007, 03:01 AM
Here is what I usually do when I am uncertain about my lineup.

I play about 10 games against a semi-good team (like the Iliad, or another tema on the 10* retired list)
After those games I go by whoever has the best averages.. top to bottom, best to worst.. then I make minor changes as needed according to running speed, etc but I usually don't move anymore more than 1 or 2 spots after I setup by average.
another top tip from a PL1 trainer

j/k

Money
07-10-2007, 06:50 AM
I click the little bat in DT.

The one that sorts everyone in average batting skill.

Then I make my lineup exactly what that is.

mlthmp
07-10-2007, 09:37 AM
another top tip from a PL1 trainer

j/k

Ohh no way.. thats low Bailey.. thats low buddy :(
BTW I deleted your double post.. but still
thats lower than low.. thats Bill low man.. :(