PDA

View Full Version : The Challenge for high-# teams in PL

The Troubadour
07-01-2007, 08:25 PM
I've come to realize just how difficult it will be to advance deep into the PL with a high numbered team (581690).

After a week of being in PL9, and seeing the standings sorted by number from lowest to highest, I now understand why everyone is always seeking low numbered teams. I thought it was a prestige/status thing. Now I know better.

But I'll press on. Don't want a low team, yet. Will see how far I can make it with my boys, even in this flawed standings set-up.

NLB
07-01-2007, 08:30 PM
i hear ya man...my id team is 581046...im not doing to bad as of right now...think imin 7th in PL9 but last time my Id # was so high i had tied wins wit some1 that stayed in aPL and i dropped =/

GCool
07-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Happens to me at least once per league, happened twice in Jr League. I think I'll see it more now that I'm moving into 6th next year and hopefully higher up regardless of when I got my team.

Gooser
07-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Okay, now this may hurt a little bit, but I'm going to give it to you straight. I'll start by giving you a paraphrase I stole from Slip. Excuses are the nails that help build the house of failure. ID is overrated, WAY overrated. If you wait until your team is good, and I mean really good, so good in fact that you know every player's likes and dislikes, what their favorite food is (training likes), you will go through PL9 through PL5 like a hot knife through butter.

Once you get to PL4, ID might matter a little bit, but only for a season! Say you go 12-6 and miss out on advancement because of ID, the next season your ID doesn't have anything to do with promotion/demotion, it's how you placed the previous season that will determine the tiebreaker. If your team goes 12-6 again in PL4 you will in most cases advance to PL3. Rinse and repeat PL3 through PL1.

If you think your team is at a disadvantage, then they probably are. If you think to yourself that you will figure out a way to overcome this small obstacle then you probably will. It is up to you, but I'm telling you that your ID will never keep you from getting your team to where you are determined to get them. The attitude of the trainer is as important as anything else in this game. Never give up and never give in.

SlipnSliders
07-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Okay, now this may hurt a little bit, but I'm going to give it to you straight. I'll start by giving you a paraphrase I stole from Slip. Excuses are the nails that help build the house of failure. ID is overrated, WAY overrated. If you wait until your team is good, and I mean really good, so good in fact that you know every player's likes and dislikes, what their favorite food is (training likes), you will go through PL9 through PL5 like a hot knife through butter.

Once you get to PL4, ID might matter a little bit, but only for a season! Say you go 12-6 and miss out on advancement because of ID, the next season your ID doesn't have anything to do with promotion/demotion, it's how you placed the previous season that will determine the tiebreaker. If your team goes 12-6 again in PL4 you will in most cases advance to PL3. Rinse and repeat PL3 through PL1.

If you think your team is at a disadvantage, then they probably are. If you think to yourself that you will figure out a way to overcome this small obstacle then you probably will. It is up to you, but I'm telling you that your ID will never keep you from getting your team to where you are determined to get them. The attitude of the trainer is as important as anything else in this game. Never give up and never give in.

Wow, I was JUST about to post that quote in this thread. But hey, you included a nice little summary to go along with it. Great points Gooser. When I entered the PLs with a high ID of 406751 I cruised to PL5. They were my first PL team so therefore I knew them and knew the players pretty well. I could have easily gone farther but decided to focus on my PL3 team at the time. If you're team is good enough, you won't have to blame high IDs.

NLB
07-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Now i might have to change my thinking that i had...Extremely nicely said Gooser

bball4lif91
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Ya luckly I found some three old teams of mine with ids in the 1XXXXX. So I gave a few out to my friends and now we are going to wait until we have a DT to train them. Not the best ids but not the worst compared to the ones you get now.

Bailey
07-01-2007, 10:08 PM
well i just advance to pl6 thisd season after finishing the same as many others with an id of 810

mlthmp
07-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Some of us couldn't make it into the higher PLs if no one else trained at all.. period.

ID doesn't make the team, the trainer does plain and simple..

Bailey
07-01-2007, 10:42 PM
but it is an advantage that i wanted, eventually you are going to have to beat the very best, so its no big deal then, but it is a little bit of a deal now

The Troubadour
07-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Gooser, I would have disagreed with your response; but you illuminated something which I had not previously known: a team's standing in a previous season works as the tie-breaker.

If this is true, then I am not worried about the number in the slightest. Thanks for the info.

dekid
07-02-2007, 11:53 AM
The only real time id # may come into effect if you finish in a tie in a PL league for the last spot. The lower id then advances. I believe there was a tie in PL1 once where the lower id# team was given the crown even though the higher id team had beaten them twice in the PL season.

Roughnecks
07-02-2007, 01:06 PM
I love the fact that my team is a high ID. In PL6 it's one of the highest. 578187. It shows the real strength of my team. ALL HAIL TO THE RISE OF THE HIGH ID...

JTTHEBRICK
07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
HIGH IDS RISE UP!!

Bailey
07-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Gooser, I would have disagreed with your response; but you illuminated something which I had not previously known: a team's standing in a previous season works as the tie-breaker.

If this is true, then I am not worried about the number in the slightest. Thanks for the info.

except for when you advance, then you only have the up arrow, and then its the team id,

Gooser
07-02-2007, 06:43 PM
The only real time id # may come into effect if you finish in a tie in a PL league for the last spot. The lower id then advances. I believe there was a tie in PL1 once where the lower id# team was given the crown even though the higher id team had beaten them twice in the PL season.

This does happen once in a while, but it is rare. I remember when Market Wizard (Owner of the great Chicago Mob) was complaining how ID was playing into PL1 too much, he even said that he was going to quit because of it. Then somebody (sorry but I don't remember who) did the research to show him that it is a rare rather than a frequent occurance.

I'm not saying that a low ID doesn't help, it does. ID is a small cog of the wheel that is Smallball. I'm saying that anyone can overcome an high ID if they decide that they will not be stopped no matter what. The reason so many low ID teams are in the upper leagues has everything to do with the owners being great trainers and very little to do with the ID itself. If you go 7-11 in PL1, PL2, PL3...etc, your ID will not save you from demotion.

I can think of several teams that have had great success with a high ID at the time. Take a look at your Smallball history. DE's Destroyers were a high ID team (at the time) when they were winning 10 championships! England won 8 as a high ID team! Chicago Mob won 4 with a high ID!

In upcoming seasons you will see a 500000+ ID win a championship. I see several teams that I think could do it if they keep grinding away. It is the team and the trainer, not the ID that will determine the next champion.

dekid
07-02-2007, 07:37 PM
I agree it is very rare. I did get beat out one PL season in a tie for the last spot but felt more that my team didn't deserve to go then being upset about beaten out by a lower id. No matter what, to win your team has to be good and not depend on a id number for help.

mlthmp
07-02-2007, 09:15 PM
I have lost out on advancing once on the ID issue..

I was mad for awhile.. then I realized.. all I had to do was win ONE more game.. had I been a little better my ID wouldnt have mattered at all..

If ID 700 finished with 11 wins in PL1.. and ID 501101 finished with 12 wins.. the higher ID wins because they're a better team.. period. Smallball is 100% what you put into it..

Bailey
07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
great point there, i got a lower id# for a few reasons, 810 i won, 8358 i purchased to put a dt on and then put lefties on just to try something, working so far, sort of,

plus the resale if it ever came to it, i know that i have to do a great deal to get over the best in the game especially where it can come down to little things, like this titled thread for example, i still have to do 95% of the hard work though and i have never forgotten that ever

DarkElf
07-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I can think of several teams that have had great success with a high ID at the time. Take a look at your Smallball history. DE's Destroyers were a high ID team (at the time) when they were winning 10 championships!
True, but I should have 11. Grrr. I lost two tiebreakers because of my "high ID at the time", but then won one because of my "lower ID at the time." :)

But you're right, team IDs only matter when you switch leagues (either promoted or demoted). So that first season I move up, my minimum goal is to position myself better for the following season, and only going 10-8 will take care of that nicely. 10-8 isn't an unreasonable record to strive for IMO, though of course, 13-5 is much better.

A high team ID won't prevent you from winning PL1, it just may take a bit longer (and reduce the total number of PL1 championships! ;) )

Naugels
07-04-2007, 11:39 AM
this is PL9 right now
there are teams in the top 12 that have lower ID # than me @ #4
I think Gooser and Slip are right
1 v CSA 944 BEATLE-CSA 13 5 3 .722
2 ^ Cub 205654 xCubs 13 5 3 .722
3 ^ MID 230047 The Midnight Ryders 13 5 2 .722
4 ^ mt 581328 Naugels 13 5 2 .722
5 ^ OWN 582412 Kellen's Klubbers 13 5 0 .722
6 v CSA 6417 SOUTHERN-PRIDE-CSA 12 6 5 .666
7 ^ RGB 189514 The Usual Suspects )TUS( 12 6 4 .666