PDA

View Full Version : Sure Fire Way To Find Pitchers ?

Utvol1982
04-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Ok , what im wondering is there anyways to find your pitchers with complete certainty without training your whole team all the way up ?

Ive read that you can track the early gains and tell who is going to be better but i have also read that some bloom late so you should train them all up. I have 4 teams and my original team i have had since 2002 so i know i have the pitcher there , lol believe me i have trained that team up and down but i keep leaving and coming back.

I have recently returned and am ready to train my other 3 teams but i want to find the pitchers for them for sure. I dont want to get them trained and then start doubting if i have the right guys pitching so i am training them until they are high enough to max out at pitching before i even start looking for my 2 guys.

I train evenly , run , pass, field and hit 4 days in a row. At What point should i pitch them and know they will max out ? If im training even i would assume when my throwing maxes out then my running would be ready and thus pitching will be able to max at that point right ?

Also back to my original question at the top , is there any proven with out a doubt shortcuts that anyone knows ? Im probably going with the max out but i would still like to hear any suggestions. I may like them and experiment on one of my teams.

Thanks

redbirds33
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
No. You're not going to find your pitchers with complete certainty without training them up to max. The most important thing in finding your pitchers is learning their skill retention. It's basically impossible to gauge skill retention without maxing.

JabberJaws
04-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Also another factor is ball strike ratio.
My fastest pitcher was also a liability because he walked to many people.

I maxed my players pitching then narrowed it to the five that held the stats. From those five I narrowed it down to 3 that had the striking ability.
I'm pretty sure I have found the top 2.

I've went back and used this method on multiple teams and discovered I had not originally chosen the right people by training in the manner your speaking of Utvol1982.

Take your time and get it right the first time it really bites having to go back and start all over.

Utvol1982
04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Also another factor is ball strike ratio.
My fastest pitcher was also a liability because he walked to many people.

I maxed my players pitching then narrowed it to the five that held the stats. From those five I narrowed it down to 3 that had the striking ability.
I'm pretty sure I have found the top 2.

I've went back and used this method on multiple teams and discovered I had not originally chosen the right people by training in the manner your speaking of Utvol1982.

Take your time and get it right the first time it really bites having to go back and start all over.

Yeah but i dont see how you could go wrong by making them all out in pitching. I also use a common opponent when i narrow down my pitchers. I pick a team that i think is better than me and then i basically audition my best prospects 3 times a piece against the same team. I figure the only real way to find out who is the best is to give them the same competition and several chance so i know i havent shorted there opportunity to show me who is better.

I think the key is making sure i pick a team that i know is real good.

redbirds33
04-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Just a few games a piece isn't a very good sample size. I would think you'd need at least 12-24 games a piece, but you probably can't get that many games in.

Finding your pitchers right is time consuming, but it's worth it. No shortcuts.

JabberJaws
04-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Don't worry about training anything other than pitching and throwing and do not use throw as a factor for decision. My longest thrower was also the fastest but as already said that guy walked the most.

Good rule only train teams at first to find your pitchers.

jimmygfat
04-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Just a note... When pitchers are close to max in pitch skill pitches not swung at will be determined by the lack of contact in the hitter not pitch skill. There was a bug that was fixed where trainers did not train in contact and players were getting a lot of walks. Now those taken pitches are sometimes called strikes.

Utvol1982
04-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Just a few games a piece isn't a very good sample size. I would think you'd need at least 12-24 games a piece, but you probably can't get that many games in.

Finding your pitchers right is time consuming, but it's worth it. No shortcuts.

Yeah maybe your right. I should expand on how many games a piece i give them and then i will also track there losses as far as skill.

To clarify the common opponent thing, im not going to give every pitcher games to pitch in. Probably just my top 3 or 4 so maybe i will give them about 10 games each. I just want to make sure i play them against the same teams to get an accurate gauge.

This is going to take a long time but i enjoy doing it.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Utvol1982
04-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Don't worry about training anything other than pitching and throwing and do not use throw as a factor for decision. My longest thrower was also the fastest but as already said that guy walked the most.

Good rule only train teams at first to find your pitchers.

Will that work ? i thought you had to have your run skill up to par also in order to get them maxed.

epiphanic
04-09-2009, 02:58 PM
No. Skills are able to be maxed independently of each other. Don't confuse pitch speed with pitch skill.

BP
04-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah maybe your right. I should expand on how many games a piece i give them and then i will also track there losses as far as skill.

To clarify the common opponent thing, im not going to give every pitcher games to pitch in. Probably just my top 3 or 4 so maybe i will give them about 10 games each. I just want to make sure i play them against the same teams to get an accurate gauge.

This is going to take a long time but i enjoy doing it.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I do not believe this method will work for these reasons.

1. So what if the team actually trained in the middle of you testing them. Then your stats will be skewed.

2. You would have to max out all 4 of those "possibilities" in pitch skill to get any accurate readings. They will always be close to max once you start training regularly. You need to get your readings from that point, not when they're throwing 70-100.

3. I don't know how you pulled out these "possible" pitchers? FYI, the players that gain the most pitch skill in a single session does not mean that he's a possible pitcher. From what I've seen, a player that gains skills really fast and big gains, also loses that skill that quick.

Utvol1982
04-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I do not believe this method will work for these reasons.

1. So what if the team actually trained in the middle of you testing them. Then your stats will be skewed.

2. You would have to max out all 4 of those "possibilities" in pitch skill to get any accurate readings. They will always be close to max once you start training regularly. You need to get your readings from that point, not when they're throwing 70-100.

3. I don't know how you pulled out these "possible" pitchers? FYI, the players that gain the most pitch skill in a single session does not mean that he's a possible pitcher. From what I've seen, a player that gains skills really fast and big gains, also loses that skill that quick.

My possible pitchers will be my top 4 after there maxed out , im not just randomly picking people off my team, lol.

Also while it may come to pass that the common opponent will train during the test games then thats not a big deal. I dont think they would jump a whole lot so that it would mess my readings up very much and they will have several chances to pitch anyways so unless its happening everyday then my bet is thats not a problem. I figure in the end that the highest rated skill players will end up the better pitchers anyways. I just want to be sure that i have explored all my best options.

Its probably a waist of time to even give them common opponents but im curious to see the results.

BP
04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
My possible pitchers will be my top 4 after there maxed out , im not just randomly picking people off my team, lol.

Also while it may come to pass that the common opponent will train during the test games then thats not a big deal. I dont think they would jump a whole lot so that it would mess my readings up very much and they will have several chances to pitch anyways so unless its happening everyday then my bet is thats not a problem. I figure in the end that the highest rated skill players will end up the better pitchers anyways. I just want to be sure that i have explored all my best options.

Its probably a waist of time to even give them common opponents but im curious to see the results.

Well, now that I think about it, you could also just find a retired team to play. Make sure they have the little golfer tag on the bottom where the stadiums show up on their team page.

Utvol1982
04-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, now that I think about it, you could also just find a retired team to play. Make sure they have the little golfer tag on the bottom where the stadiums show up on their team page.

AH Yes , Great Idea. Think Ill try and do that. Im still a ways away from getting ready to even start pitching so im sure i can find one.

Thanks

redbirds33
04-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Playing retired teams is a great idea. I would make sure to keep the same defense as you rotate pitchers because changing the defense could make a big difference in defensive results.

I can't emphasize enough how important skill retention should be as you search for pitchers. As you get them all close to max, I think you'll learn how big of a difference there is between players. Once you identify 3 or 4 guys, then checking performance to choose your 2 guys might be a good way to go.

JabberJaws
04-09-2009, 10:31 PM
No. Skills are able to be maxed independently of each other. Don't confuse pitch speed with pitch skill.

He only put the second post up. I don't think you understand from that quote which was all posted. I said only train pitch and throw to max all players out at first but do not make decisions on the throwing factor ie speed. The earlier post made mention of basing decision on pitching skills ie striking ability and retention. I brought up the fact that speed does not equal striking abilities. I did not mention game play because it was already covered.

I have been around this game for many years and tried many approaches and even without the proper pitchers still made it to the 3rd (958) and 4th league (88579) and (90205). It was because of those teams not being able to advance further I let my teams go back to zero and started the pitching process over. I used this method because the old timers that were the best recommend it, to bad not many of them are around anymore.

Epiphanic if I'm missing something please clue me in I really do not want to start all over again.

epiphanic
04-10-2009, 07:28 AM
I was responding to Utvol's response to your post. He said he thought run skill needed to be trained to get them up to max. While I have heard that run skill does add a bit of velocity to pitch speed, training in run does not raise the ceiling for pitch skill. Thus my comment.

Utvol1982
04-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Think i found a good retired team to play. 111656 , they are 10*.

Its funny , they were born on my birthday to. Just a couple weeks younger than my original team.

Wonder if 10* is overkill ? Guess the better competition is the best test team.

Utvol1982
04-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Ok I dont think i need to open a new thread for this question since its basically the same area but i have lost my notes on 108823 and i dont know who my 2 pitchers are. I just know its not 7 players so that left my 5 to go thru. I was changing names a lot last year when i was training them so i lost my pitchers and dont remember who was who.

I have started training 3 of the 5 and leaving them on the bench while keeping there training with halp pie in line with the rest of my squad and the other is used specifically for pitch training.

Anyways my question is if i have trained 3 of those players evenly as i have and 2 of them get pitching skill real well and are throwin 100+ ( i know pitch speed isnt that important but using it as a gauge ) and the other guy is still throwing in the 80's and isnt gaining well then its safe to eliminate him huh ?

I know that no one will know 100% but im asking based on your guys experience. My plan is to keep the best pitcher of the 3 and then train the other 2 left and then narrow down who my 1 and 2 is.

It just seems like the 3rd guy is really struggling to keep up with the other 2 pitchers but i dont want to eliminate him early.

And while im typing , 1 more question. Is there anyways to get some more colors added to uniforms such as black ?