PDA

View Full Version : Max run a liability?

GodofAcid
03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Anyone notice how a maxed runner will tend to make more stupid decisions, like trying to stretch a double into a triple when they really have no shot at it and being out at third? I noticed this happened twice during a game yesterday after I had trained in run the previous session, and I'm beginning to think that if I kept my players slightly below max, I'd have a few more doubles instead of out at third. Any opinions on this?

NRaider
03-02-2009, 11:56 AM
My guys dont really get triples, so i dont know. Maybe you should test the experiments.

GodofAcid
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Maybe it's something that will resolve itself as I move up the PLs then. My first thought is that it wasn't like I was playing a team with cannons for arms. Just made my baserunning look really bad. Perhaps if the team did have better arms, the runners wouldn't be in a position to take those kinds of stupid risks.

Beaner
03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I've actually posted about that before, and I have had my suspicions about it for a long time. I've always been one to keep my players close to max in run, and they are constantly being thrown out trying to stretch a hit, especially going to third. It certainly seems like it happens more to my team than it does to my opponents.

However, it has not caused me to back off on my run training at all (yet). I just kind of hope their speed in the field makes up for it. I've thought about toning the run training down and trying that out, but I've just never gotten to that point yet.

GodofAcid
03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your input guys, appreciated as always

NRaider
03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I have noticed today watching some games that if i got a guy on 1st and the batter hits the ball into the oufield, then my guy on first will get thrown out trying to get 3rd. That happened 3 times in one game. Was very frustrating.

jesse100190
03-06-2009, 02:56 PM
max run will help your defense also

GodofAcid
03-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Yes, and that's pretty much the only reason why I'm continuing to keep it at max. Seeing my runners trying to stretch hits and getting thrown out on a regular basis sure isn't encouraging me to do so.

Roughnecks
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
What I hate seeing is when the runner could easily make the next base, has the throw beat by a mile, but turns around right before he gets there. But when the throw is way ahead and the runner tries to beat it well after the guy has caught the ball. Like that skillfull slide is gonna help. I think they just like getting dirty. What was he thinking?

Beaner
03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I've backed off a bit on running, and so far I am doing well. I will have to evaluate this further over more time...

GodofAcid
03-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Ok, let me know what you come up with. I think I'll back off with my lesser runners and keep my natural runners maxed and see how things go.