PDA

View Full Version : Finding Pitcher Question

ryde93
02-22-2009, 02:50 AM
So for the last week i've began playing again and have been training my team in pitching. Being as smart as i was back then, i numbered my players and made my suspected 3 pitchers 1,2,3. So sure enough they were indeed the top 3 but i appeared to be wrong in numbers 1,2. regardless, my top ranked pitcher at the moment tops out at 109, while pitcher 2 tops at 111 at the moment. Should your best pitcher throw harder? or is that just a small role in being a good pitcher.

Lithodora
02-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Consider the time it takes for the pitchers to lose that skill vs. strength in pitching.

ryde93
02-22-2009, 03:05 AM
ye, like ive checked to see if one drops down the list after a day but it the top 3 stay in the same order, but is it common to have your 2nd pitcher pitch faster than your number 1?

bigdogv65
02-22-2009, 07:15 AM
I have always maxed out everyone in pitch, check all players at the same time each day and mark who is in what order (do not pitch anyone during this 3-5 day period nor have them pass. have them run. Then have them pass to max and watch the list again. The top 2 or 3 that lose pitch skill and pass skill the least are my pitchers. This allows them to max out in pitch and pass and keep it longer thus enabling them to train in run and batting more. FYI. Having a pitcher pitch at 111-114 is not always a good thing. Those tend to bounce off the bat a bit more and you get a lot more home runs against you.

redbirds33
02-22-2009, 12:18 PM
If you know they're maxed I'd ignore the pitch speed, because of what bigdog said.

Roughnecks
02-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree with Redbirds and Bigdog. I would also like to add that pitching speed does not equal pitching skill. You will find that you can get most of your players to pitch at speeds of 108-111. Like Bigdog said, the fastest pitchers give up more home runs. The biggest thing is skill and throw power, and how long they hold those skill. A good speed to try and maintain is around 109-111. Others may see it differently, but this is a good place to start.

GodofAcid
02-22-2009, 12:48 PM
My pitchers both hit 112 when they max out.. I kind of thought that was standard, maybe it's just an anomaly that they both hit the exact same speed and neither has ever hit 113. I wouldn't worry about pitch speed, it really means nothing. You may (and probably will) find that the one who sorts to the top of the list is your overall better pitcher, regardless of his pitch speed. It's all about how well they do in a game. I use pitch speed merely to gauge how close my pitchers are to maxing, and don't think anything else of it.

ryde93
02-22-2009, 01:45 PM
alright, that what i was wondering...every players different, and speed is just one aspect of being a pitcher...ive been momitoring their loss as well but i will further

bigdogv65
02-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Remember. This is SmallBall, not baseball. :-p

ryde93
02-22-2009, 09:06 PM
lol oh i know haha. it just struck me as odd that he was pitching much faster

redbirds33
02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
It's common for a great pitcher to pitch between 108-112 when maxed and ready.

If he's down around 104-107 then he's probably not maxed, but if his max puts him in that 108-112 range then that's plenty good.

ryde93
02-22-2009, 10:40 PM
another question that i've been pondering for a while. im sure i once knew, but not anymore hah. do bench players lose skill faster? like if i left the at full pie for a day. will the lose skill anyfaster? or is it just basically wasting the advantage of quicker pie gain?

GodofAcid
02-23-2009, 04:51 AM
Too bad cause I'd love to see a real pitcher hit 110 :smile5:

epiphanic
02-23-2009, 06:48 AM
another question that i've been pondering for a while. im sure i once knew, but not anymore hah. do bench players lose skill faster? like if i left the at full pie for a day. will the lose skill anyfaster? or is it just basically wasting the advantage of quicker pie gain?

No. Players will lose skill at their natural rate regardless if they are on the field or riding the pine.

Gooser
02-23-2009, 09:14 AM
So for the last week i've began playing again and have been training my team in pitching. Being as smart as i was back then, i numbered my players and made my suspected 3 pitchers 1,2,3. So sure enough they were indeed the top 3 but i appeared to be wrong in numbers 1,2. regardless, my top ranked pitcher at the moment tops out at 109, while pitcher 2 tops at 111 at the moment. Should your best pitcher throw harder? or is that just a small role in being a good pitcher.

Think outside of the box. Forget sort lists and go with the pitchers you think are best. I know 99% of people would disagree but I have always thought that picking your pitchers is an art not a science. By the way I have never "found" my pitchers the traditional way.

ryde93
02-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Think outside of the box. Forget sort lists and go with the pitchers you think are best. I know 99% of people would disagree but I have always thought that picking your pitchers is an art not a science. By the way I have never "found" my pitchers the traditional way.

very interesting point. back in the day i always just hand selected my pitchers at random...but when i got DT i thought i'd find one. i definitatly didn't do so much analyzing, i think i trained for 5 days and that was it aha, even reached 9 stars. but right now im working on 4 guys and trying to cut it down to 2. some 4th guy jumped right into second on the sort charts after being one of the worst all week

ryde93
02-23-2009, 05:58 PM
No. Players will lose skill at their natural rate regardless if they are on the field or riding the pine.

thanks, that is a huge relief. i hate having to train 3 guyss every day.

Gooser
02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
very interesting point. back in the day i always just hand selected my pitchers at random...but when i got DT i thought i'd find one. i definitatly didn't do so much analyzing, i think i trained for 5 days and that was it aha, even reached 9 stars. but right now im working on 4 guys and trying to cut it down to 2. some 4th guy jumped right into second on the sort charts after being one of the worst all week

The way I think of it is your best pitcher is not always at the top of the sort list, or the one that throws the hardest. Much like your best hitter is not always at the top of the sort lists. I have a pitcher that I am sure if I trained all my guys in pitching would be near the bottom of the list, yet he is my money pitcher. Whenever I have a really big game in PL he is the guy I go with. He is a pain to train because he loses skill a little faster than a "true" pitcher, has trouble pitching above 107 mph, is slower than a donkey pulling a piano, and needs a great deal of time in the batting cages to keep up. But when he is right, he is money. All he does is win.

Roughnecks
02-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm starting to think that a "true pitcher" is a smallball myth.

redbirds33
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm starting to think that a "true pitcher" is a smallball myth.

Why would you think that? Maybe I don't understand your point. Clearly some guys hold pitch skill much better than others.

Ok, if by "true pitcher" you mean a player that's predetermined as a pitcher, then I agree. But there's definately players who are better pitchers than others.

Roughnecks
02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Why would you think that? Maybe I don't understand your point. Clearly some guys hold pitch skill much better than others.

Ok, if by "true pitcher" you mean a player that's predetermined as a pitcher, then I agree. But there's definately players who are better pitchers than others.Mainly because because the fact that the players at the top of the "pitching skills list" aren't always the pitchers who win more games, they just have better personal stats. To me the best pitcher is the guy who wins more games. I have had teams where the best pitcher according to the skills list had a terrible winning percentage.

redbirds33
02-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Before you come to that conculsion, have you experimented with a sufficient sample size? I bet a player with better pitch skill (all other factors being equal) would win more games than one lower on the list.

I see what you're getting at, but I think if you kept experimenting and gathering data on the players on that team that the numbers would come around and support your pitcher needing higher pitch skill.

Roughnecks
02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Chances are your probably right. Do you think that every team is issued with a true pitcher or the trainer just has to find the best choice?

Gooser
02-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Mainly because because the fact that the players at the top of the "pitching skills list" aren't always the pitchers who win more games, they just have better personal stats. To me the best pitcher is the guy who wins more games. I have had teams where the best pitcher according to the skills list had a terrible winning percentage.

This has been my theory all along.

Gooser
02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Before you come to that conculsion, have you experimented with a sufficient sample size? I bet a player with better pitch skill (all other factors being equal) would win more games than one lower on the list.

I see what you're getting at, but I think if you kept experimenting and gathering data on the players on that team that the numbers would come around and support your pitcher needing higher pitch skill.

I have done this, not exactly scientifically, but good enough for government work. On one of my teams the best skilled pitcher does poorly in competition, while a lesser skilled pitcher does much better. Now like I have said before, I have never maxed out all the players at the same time in pitch skill, so it is still just a rough estimate, but almost all players at one time or another have been maxed.

ryde93
02-24-2009, 09:34 PM
some good points. i personally think every player is created with different potential. so will be just simply better than others. but i also think there may be some other formula in smallball that affects their performances. like maybe a 3rd or 4th skill that can be trained in