PDA

View Full Version : Approach to being a great trainer

Tmart54
06-29-2007, 02:48 PM
whats the best way to train your team because like i havent trained in batting yet and all ive done is pitching and all the defense stuff is that a good thing or should i be practiceing batting every now and then im a 5* star right now

Bryce
06-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Everyone has there own way of training there teams. I personally think it's great that you have a good defense and pitching but you should be practising batting a little bit too because without an offense you can't get any runs. I usually train with a mix of skills but occasionally focus on certain ones for a training or 2. As soon as you get higher in the stars and eventually make your way into the Pro Leagues you should have a good offense but a defense is very effective too. So it's your choice how to train, try some stuff and see if it works for you. :)

philgil
06-29-2007, 02:58 PM
i only train in defense till im a 6* team then i do alot of batting but everyone has their own systems that works

Bailey
06-29-2007, 03:00 PM
you wont get anywhere in the pro leagues even if you practice batting, so i wouldnt bother, if and when you get to the point of having a few players maxing in a particular skill on a day then train that guy in batting, about 7-8* for that though

gl

Tmart54
06-29-2007, 03:37 PM
ok thanks for the help everyone i apreciate it

Jim
06-29-2007, 05:54 PM
I dont claim to be a great trainer but my advice is DEFENSE! until you are 8* then lotsa contact time and finally power. Supposedly balance is the key. But mainly it is patience! Dont be in a hurry. You MUST get to "know" your players. Use your bench rotate your players and give them all a chance. Good Luck! 8)

bigdogv65
06-29-2007, 07:30 PM
1) Dont get sucked into too many teams too early. I know it's hard to do, but trust me. Until you learn #2 you are only prolonging your misery.

2) Train one team and learn each player inside and out. All players are different.

3) BENCH rotation is a must.

4)Finding your pitchers is a must.

5) Play teams that are better or close to your teams skill level. This will give you key stat info on what they really need to be trained in.

6) until you find out what stadium fits your training style........use the Intel or (Default league field)

7) remember it's a game and have fun. Dont over analyze anything. It will hurt you in the long run.

8) when in doubt........ask. ;D

BTW, I'm not saying I am a great trainer.......but that should get you on your way to being a decent one.

Tmart54
06-29-2007, 09:24 PM
yea i only got one team this is my second year of smallball i stopped playing during august last year but i was just seeing what everyone thought on how to train because i didnt really train that good the first time around

Roughnecks
06-30-2007, 07:36 AM
If I were a trainer, this is how I would do it.

25% run
25% pass
25% batting
25% catching

except pitcher.

Junkybird
06-30-2007, 05:36 PM
1) Dont get sucked into too many teams too early. I know it's hard to do, but trust me. Until you learn #2 you are only prolonging your misery.

2) Train one team and learn each player inside and out. All players are different.

5) Play teams that are better or close to your teams skill level. This will give you key stat info on what they really need to be trained in.

6) until you find out what stadium fits your training style........use the Intel or (Default league field)

7) remember it's a game and have fun. Dont over analyze anything. It will hurt you in the long run.

BTW, I'm not saying I am a great trainer.......but that should get you on your way to being a decent one.

Couldn't say it any better. Although I always end up with more than one team. BAH.

I know I'm not a great trainer, but I've always made it a habit to listen and take notes from the trainers who have actually won PL1. They are usually the ones who know what they are talking about. But I know a few trainers who have not made it, but have the potential, and is evident by their success else where in smallball land.

mlthmp
06-30-2007, 08:20 PM

wowser!

best reply EVER.. WTG

bball4lif91
07-01-2007, 10:39 AM
wowser!

best reply EVER.. WTG

Ditto, one other thing I would add though is have patience. It will take a long time to find your pitcher and know every player inside out, but in the long run it will be worth it.

BP
07-01-2007, 12:51 PM
If I were a trainer, this is how I would do it.

25% run
25% pass
25% batting
25% catching

except pitcher.

I would never do it this way. Each team is different. Each player is different. You have to train each player how they should be trained to receive the best production on the field.

yohanx
07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
[quote
Each team is different. Each player is different. You have to train each player how they should be trained to receive the best production on the field.
[/quote]

although i agree with this, i believe that you should have a set routine/ schedule till you reach about 8* or so, when players start to max out in certain skills ( should mainly focus on defense skills between 1-8*, like running, catching, throwing and finding your true pitcher). after this then you could start to focus on the individuals and what each needs to focus on to improve. just make sure that you constantly rotate how you train so that players wont loss to much tp in a specific skill.

mlthmp
07-01-2007, 02:08 PM
when I start a new team.. Here is what I do.

Max everyon ein run
Get everyone (everyone, an dI mean everyone) throwing at least 160 feet.. then I work on catching a little..

then I set specific schedules for each player. Some need more run than others, some hold their contact skill better than others, etc.. the trick is knowing who needs what the most :)

DWlimp2217
07-07-2007, 12:17 PM
yeah i have been with smallball ever since 2003 and my team is still a little rusty even when training them everyday in there right positions