PDA

View Full Version : to be great in the forums

yohanx
06-29-2007, 07:00 AM
what does it take to be considered, respected, acknowledged and be great in the forums

UNC FAN
06-29-2007, 07:06 AM
#1 Don't spam(Do as I say, not as I do).
#2 Be respectful.
#3 Post inteligently(refer to #1).
Those are a few things. but I'm on the negative side so I'll let the popular tell you.

Beaner
06-29-2007, 08:27 AM
From what I've seen from you so far yohan, I think you are already on the right track for that goal. Keep it up! ;) Just be yourself and follow the guidelines that UNC posted and you will have it made.

Martin
06-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Depends on what you consider "popular" ...

Some people post a ton, but don't really give anything to the community but their .02 cents.

Some people have fans because they are witty and appeal to the senses of some others.

Some people are liked because they will help others whenever there is an opportunity.

Some people give to the community without expecting anything back.

All in all, it depends on who YOU are and what others think of what they see ... which, in the end means squat. Never compromise who you are for the sake of popularity.

yohanx
06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Never compromise who you are for the sake of popularity.

thanks Martin dont plan to do that.

wileyone
06-29-2007, 09:48 AM
I would say by making this post you have all ready raised people's respect level of you. There has been some fantastic pieces of advice passed on to you. Keep up the good work.
Probably nothing ticks off other people more than useless posts, or people that try to change every topic into something about themself.
By asking, and giving advice you will have everyones respect and gratitude. I know you all ready have mine

Issued-Away
06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Martin's post explains it all. You won't get a better response.

Devils Disciples
06-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I would say by making this post you have all ready raised people's respect level of you. There has been some fantastic pieces of advice passed on to you. Keep up the good work.
Probably nothing ticks off other people more than useless posts, or people that try to change every topic into something about themself.
By asking, and giving advice you will have everyones respect and gratitude. I know you all ready have mine
I agree...Martin's response is a one of a kind Like Wileyone said though, you already have my respect aswell as others. Keep up the good work ;D

maurice2211
06-29-2007, 10:10 AM
I think you just have to allow yourself to fit in with the community and not try to FORCE your way into everybodys good graces! You have to accept the fact that theres ALWAYS somebody thats been here longer than you and they may have a better understanding of the game than you. In other words, always be willing to accept the advice of the vets and not try to act like a vet when you HARDLY have the war wounds of one! IMO

yohanx
06-29-2007, 12:41 PM
well thanks guys, really i just want to be of help to the community, so as maurice says ill just fit myself in.

Bailey
06-29-2007, 02:43 PM
firstly you can know that the most respected of the forum have replied to you, you can clearly see yourself when looking at peoples posts and then what you do and reply when you have seen it, you then make up your mind about who you respect and like and dislike and therefore that is probly how we make our mind up as well

(((if someone came on here to this thread and posted "just post heaps and do what you can to annoy people" then you get my drift

i dont lol

SlipnSliders
06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
The only thing I can add to these great gentleman is one thing. While it is not a necessity, it is helpful if you use good grammar. Such as capitalization, punctuation, etc. Like I said, it's not a must, but it helps the look and feel of your post IMO by leaps and bounds. Hope you enjoyed my .02. (And anyone feel free to point out my grammar mistakes in this post for irony.) O0

RowdyRooster
06-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Wouldn't know ??? but I missed the heck out of all you guys ;D Glad to see the forums are up and running. Might be on to say hello to some old faces. In the past, I found respect was the key to being great on forums.

GCool
06-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Wouldn't know ??? but I missed the heck out of all you guys ;D Glad to see the forums are up and running. Might be on to say hello to some old faces. In the past, I found respect was the key to being great on forums.

RR!!! Wow, it's been a long time. How've you been?

Psst ... Sucking up to the veterans is a nice touch as well.

yohanx
06-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Psst ... Sucking up to the veterans is a nice touch as well.

ill keep that in mind :P lol

tthomp
06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Wow, lot of really good replies to this post. I think this could be a good sticky for newcomers to see.
There is a lot of great advice here. I can tell you will become a respected member because you cared enough to ask.

Jim
06-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Just dont say anything stupid like I do. Remember you are probly talking to kids,(I forgot). Dont cuss like I used to do. Just be cool and be yourself. Oh yeah, dont post after more than 3 shots of whiskey. HOWDY ROWDY! 8)

Con2tion
06-29-2007, 06:10 PM
respect your fellow smallballer,because remember this is well for some of us the only friends we have
my kids are really sick and me and my wife cant get out to see anyone
we can barley work because our kids are always in and out of the hospital

i love everyone of yall, yall are my family and my friends
i would bend over backwards to help yall out,
and yohanx you dont have nothing to worry about dude your a great great forum member and friend
your one of the nicest smallballers i know all the great things you give away all the time makes me want to do something for everyone to be just like you dude

thanks for being a great on the forums dude!!!

bigdogv65
06-29-2007, 06:49 PM

My Brother from another Mother. WOW......just WOW!
Tell Stubs I said hey.

Sorry to jack your thread. Rooster and I go waaaaay back.

yohanx
06-29-2007, 07:19 PM
what i realised about those who are great ppl, they take themselves out of the way to help orders and have the patience to deal with us who ask some of the most obious questions, i've met alot of those kind of ppl around here, too many to mention, i hope one day you all would be repayed for your generousity

bigdogv65
06-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Another bit of advise that I have taken from the Sages in these forums is.
"It's not the quantity of your posts, it's the quality of their content"

mlthmp
06-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Just be yourself.. thats the best advice anyone can be given.

When giving your opinions on any given subject matter, don't push it so far that it makes other people feel like you're just being one-sided. Don't take yourself too seriously, or take others too seriously. Just know that other people will have their own opinions, and not everyone will always agree.

Tmart54
07-01-2007, 09:28 AM
also lol dont beg for coke rewards points people will really jump on ya for that one

JTTHEBRICK
07-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Good replies guys!!... I don't know if i'm respected anymore, but when I used to be.. It is all about comradery here, be yourself and the forum as a whole will accept you. We are all playing one of the best games in the world, and talking about it is probably the best part. I've seen what you have done so far giving away teams and such and know that you will make it to being one of the well-respected and highly regarded members of this forum. (if you aren't already) Have fun in every aspect of the community you can, and remember its just a game!!!

mlthmp
07-01-2007, 10:28 AM
also lol dont beg for coke rewards points people will really jump on ya for that one

LOL good tip :)

and as far as you go, JTTHEBRICK, I don't know of anyone that has anything against you buddy.. you're cool :)

JTTHEBRICK
07-01-2007, 10:31 AM
oh i know i'm cool haha

oaf
07-02-2007, 09:51 AM
And, most importantly, don't be like oaf.

yohanx
07-02-2007, 06:14 PM
And, most importantly, don't be like oaf.

ok ill try not to be like oaf, but since i dont know anything about oyu that will be somehow a challenge.. ;D

oaf
07-02-2007, 07:09 PM
i dont know anything about oyu ...

For your sake, you should keep it that way. That man is a bad, bad, baaaad influence.

Railhand
07-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I can vouch for that!!!! :-*

Ivy
07-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Just don't give a rats a*s what others think. B yourself :angel:

mlthmp
07-02-2007, 09:16 PM
another good tip..

read everything a few times before you respond to a post.. make sure you know what it REALLY says and not just what YOU THINK it says..

sometimes I re-read posts a few times before I reply.. much better than posting something thats totyally off-base just because you misread something else..

Bailey
07-02-2007, 09:23 PM
another good tip..

read everything a few times before you respond to a post.. make sure you know what it REALLY says and not just what YOU THINK it says..

sometimes I re-read posts a few times before I reply.. much better than posting something thats totyally off-base just because you misread something else..
yes, but i am not sure if you need to have ants in your pants though !!!!!!

lol, jk

oaf
07-03-2007, 07:46 AM
another good tip..

As Bailey said, this is not true at all. mlthmp is WAAAAY wrong on this one.

When he says the Iliad is the greatest team in SmallBall history, I have to disagree. There are many teams that have won many more PL1 titles than the Iliad. The Iliad might be the team with the highest average skill, but by no means are they the best team.

At least, that's what I think mlthmp was saying in his post..... ???

mlthmp
07-03-2007, 08:43 AM
another tip.. be just like oaf.

you will have tons of friends with money, beautiful hot women crawling all over you.. the very best team sin ALL of Smallball.. and perfect hair.

Oaf, did I forget anything? ;D

Martin
07-03-2007, 08:56 AM
another tip.. be just like oaf.

you will have tons of friends with money, beautiful hot women crawling all over you.. the very best team sin ALL of Smallball.. and perfect hair.

Oaf, did I forget anything? ;D

Just reality, brother! ;D

JTTHEBRICK
07-03-2007, 01:24 PM
ohh shut down by martinnn... that pretty much describes my life though ;-)

dave
07-03-2007, 07:16 PM
... avoid the temptation of the dark side ;)... be honest to yourself and others and you'll do fine!

imallout75
07-05-2007, 11:14 AM
to be great in the forums heres a few pointers

1. Dont be a idiot to the moderators cause they can ban you
2. Actually know what your talking about
3. Finally, have fun, geez its just a game

Midgmen
07-05-2007, 01:15 PM
... the very best team sin

I know our boys like to be bad sometimes, but really what would that be? :evil1:

mlthmp
07-05-2007, 02:33 PM
to be great in the forums heres a few pointers

1. Dont be a idiot to the moderators cause they can ban you
2. Actually know what your talking about
3. Finally, have fun, geez its just a game

pretty darn good advice right there as well!

;D

stubs
07-05-2007, 08:47 PM
First thing I'm reading on THE NEW forums. This is great! I want to first say hello to a lot of familiar faces...HELLO!!

Next, to be great in any forum, you must understand the audience. Remember, others are reading your posts. Take into consideration who you are talking to and the level of understanding each reader has. It used to be that this game garnered young and old alike (I'm the latter). Don't try to belittle a younger member who may not have the knowledge or wisdom of a seasoned veteran.

Always remember to help those that have legitimate questions. It's the ones that help just to help that are really the most successful in life.

Finally, have fun when the post warrants it. Just like others have said, this is a game!

Ahhhh, SmallBall....need I say more!

Stars
07-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Top Ten Ways To Earn Respect
#1-No Begging
#2-Be Helpful
#3-Nice
#4-No Spamming
#5-Respect others
#6-Positive Feedbacks in a trade
#7-Good Karma
#8-Giving Free teams away(not needed)